Greatest piano/keyboard songs of the rock era

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby montana » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:37 am

Over the years I've tried to learn all the great R&R keyboard music. I know R&R isn't everyone here's first choice in music but this list might help with songs students might like to learn. To get started I'll list a few great R&R piano/keyboard songs:
Blueberry Hill / Fats Domino
Great Balls of Fire / Jerry Lee Lewis
Lady Madonna / Beatles
The Way it is / Bruce Hornsby
Whiter Sade of Pale / Procal Harem
Riders on the Storm / Doors
This should get you started. Please add any songs you think are great rock keyboard classics.
eddorci
montana

Postby minorkey » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:12 am

How about many of Elton John's and Billy Joel's songs? They definitely belong here! Too many to list..
minorkey

Postby Glissando88keys » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:17 am

Bobby Whitlock's keyboard mastery on Layla by Eric Clapton is memorable. (Clapton also tinkles the ivories)

David Foster = Chicago, also Theme from St. Elmo's Fire

The following are my favorite R&R keyboard artists:

Anything Ray Charles - not considered classic R&R, but so what? He's tops on my list.

:cool:

Stevie Wonder - Wonderful

Keith Emerson of Emerson Lake and Palmer, especially on their synthesized re-creation of Mussorgsky's, Pictures at an Exhibition. Trilogy is beautiful, though more classical than R&R, and Honky Tonk Train Blues, like its name, but it rocks.

Greg Allman and Chuck Leavell of the Allman Brothers Band played some prominent keyboard riffs.

Johnathan Cain and Gregg Rolie of Journey are great.

Kerry Livgren and Steve Walsh of Kansas can play a note or two.

Rick Wakeman of Yes - Yes!

Steve Winwood, though more famous for his guitar-Glad

How could I ever forget my favorite Beatle, the late great Billy Preston? (Here We Go Round in Circles...) :(

Carole King composer and keyboardist extraordinaire! - I Feel the Earth Move, It's Beautiful, many more, some written for other artists :)

Popular pianists such as Barry Manilow, Burt Bacharach and Marvin Hamlisch would not be considered R&R, however, their music is noteworthy.
Keith Carpenter is also an accomplished keyboardist.

Sorry, I see I've sort of gotten off the topic of R&R songs a student can learn. I need more time think...

Edited By Glissando88keys on 1158365547
Glissando88keys

Return to Piano Repertoire