Easy waltzes or other dance-like pieces - Any recommendations?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby Stretto » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:39 pm

I try hard to consider a student's interest and taste in music in teaching and try to be sure to include in their learning some pieces of their choice.

One of my students today was ready to start a new piece and I asked her if she had any ideas of what she would like to learn next.

She is 10 years old and she said, "do you know of any ballroom dance music I could learn?" Just when we think we have young people figured out as far as what they're taste in music might be. The first thing that came to mind was waltzes. She thumbed through a book she is currently using and noticed there were about 3 or 4 dancelike pieces in the book, with 2 marked as waltzes. I started to open to the Blue Danube out of another book I had to loan her but she was determined to choose one of those in her book.

What types of music are generally used in ballroom dancing? Any recommendations for a student around late beginner? Her skill level would be the equivalent of the end of level 2 or very beginning of level 3 in most mainstream methods.

Can anyone recommend any easy

Edited By Stretto on 1158161198

Postby 108-1121887355 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Any waltzes would be good and any music with a foxtrot tempo (4/4 time) and there is an old book from Brimhall called "Teaching Latin Pieces" which is fun and good for the different dance rhythms, like tango, rhumba, etc. The waltz form "Sleeping Beauty" and music from "The Nutcracker". Then there are jazz books and big band music - 'swing'.

You could also look at some of the show tunes - there are always dance numbers in the musicales, movies or B'way shows - old Fred Astaire music, Gene Kelly, Judy Garland and many more. If you would like some speciafic names of songs, I can look through my many piles of music and send some along. If you look in some old pop books or show books, you will probably find quite a few. Many have easier versions also, or you can adapt them from the melody line.

Right away I can think of "I Could Have Danced All Night" form "My Fair Lady", and "Dancing In The Dark" (an oldie), "The Anniversary Waltz" and for some more waltzes, try Montovani.

You can always browse the music store and/or the internet.

Postby claudiogut » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:10 pm

I think the Schubert waltzes are a good choice. His 34 Valses Sentimentales... D. 779, Op. 50. This is the link:

But I think there are only 17 waltzes in that file...

Anyways, they're all short, easy, and could be played separately or as a whole...

Other than that, I don't know what to recommend you.

Return to Piano Repertoire