Bach's, english suites, no. 1-3 - recording - Can anyone recommend a recording?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby Stretto » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:10 pm

Can anyone recommend a cd recording of Bach's English Suites? I was particularly interested in a recording of English Suites, No. 1-3.

Edited By Stretto on 1144523488
Stretto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:22 pm

Stretto:

On harpsichord: Edward Parmentier or Ralph Kirkpatrick. On piano: Andras Schiff.

You can find them all at www.arkivmusic.com.

Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby LK123 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:24 pm

Check out some of Angela Hewitt's recordings (on the Hyperion label) - available at Amazon.ca. There is one CD called The English Suites and one called Suites (i think).
LK123

Postby Stretto » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:50 pm

Thanks.

I went to the bookstore yesterday just to see what was available right there. They had Bach's English Suites, 1-3 with Glen Gould that I listened to samples of. I almost got it but thought I would check on the others first.
Stretto

Postby claudiogut » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:14 pm

Glenn Gould... by far... I see the post above mentions him... I'd be glad to send you the mp3s... I have all of the English Suites... and the French ones too... and the Partitas... and the Goldbergs... all by Gould...

Claudio
Claudio
claudiogut

Postby Stretto » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:02 pm

claudiogut wrote:Glenn Gould... by far... I see the post above mentions him... I'd be glad to send you the mp3s... I have all of the English Suites... and the French ones too... and the Partitas... and the Goldbergs... all by Gould...

Claudio

Well, thanks so much for mentioning that you like Glenn Gould's recording. It's at Borders bookstore here and I had a chance to get it when I first made the post but since it wasn't recommended I thought I'd check on the others. As I recall the cd with the English Suite I'm most interested in (#3) is only $11.00 so if I were to get it I'd just purchase that cd for that little of cost.

I've kept putting off getting a recording of the English Suites partly because of trying to save money and because I keep forgetting to check on the other names recommended in this thread. I figured I'd check on them when I was ready to spend the money -maybe with some birthday or Christmas money. Well, one of these days . . .

I did request it for my birthday earlier this year but wound up receiving a cd of Bach's Goldberg Variations instead, hmmm . . . Well, I'll take that too.

Edited By Stretto on 1159533789
Stretto

Postby pianogal » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:30 pm

Periah's pretty strong at Bach's music! He recorded all the English suites I think, well I'm pretty sure.
(I'm not sure on the spelling of his name though :D )
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Return to Piano Repertoire