What do children enjoy playing these days? - Favourite pieces/songs for beginners...

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby celia » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi as I explained in my other post I am starting a new job soon piano teaching. I think it would be nice to get to know my students by offering them the choice of what they would like to learn. But it would be extra cool if I could have some sheet music they might like with me on my first day!! Any popular songs or tunes around at the moment that kids love learning? Simplified versions of pop songs/TV show music/movie music etc? Does anyone know of a website where I might get this sort of sheet music for free? I would also like to do classical stuff with them but I've basically been given free reign to do things my own way and therefore to do whatever the kids want to do... Celia.
celia

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:59 am

If you explore PEP a little more (menu in upper left hand corner of every page), you'll find that our Links to Music-Related Sites page has a whole section devoted to downloadable sheet music of all sorts. I'm sure others will also be able to help with additional sites. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:36 pm

I think with kids they are just developing their taste and may have particular pefferences but not really set.
In my opinoun movie themes and songs that involve other under of percussion (clapping or stomping feet) would be something that kids would enjoy (eg. the Adams Family theme song) , also tv themes such as : the simpsons and Flinstones mainly because the kids are familiar with it.

Having said that kids in my opinoun like the classics but I think the tendancy is that as they go older they may drift away from it. I think part of this reason is because they dont often listen to classical but just learn how to play. There is not enough taught on classical appreciation in the case with private piano lessons. As a kid I can recall listening to classical played on the piano by the teacher and lying down and shutting my eyes apprecating it. The teacher would then read a page of Mozart's life after listening to it and we appreciatied the music very much, also we enoyed listening to it.

Its sad really I think more listening should be encouraged not just learning how to play.

So there you go ... Just a few ideas.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby celia » Tue May 06, 2008 2:47 am

Hi, thanks for the advice. I have been searching online and found lots of simplified classical stuff on gmajormusictheory.org and some more pop music and stuff on scribd.com that is harder but I am enjoying some of it myself!! I expect the kids will like the simple classical stuff as well as pop stuff cos it'll be great to play famous tunes like fur elise and moonlight sonata cos they'll probably recognise it. I'm personally a bit of a hypocrite where it comes to classical music, since I was 12 I've been mostly into rock music, I just love to play classical music on the piano as it relaxes me and I love the sense of achievement (and impressing people!) but I don't really listen to it (though my dad always played classical music when I was a kid so I guess it's almost a rebellion even though I'm nearly 30!) I guess i'll play a bit for these kids anyway, it'll fill up some time! Thanks again, Celia.
celia

Return to Piano Repertoire