Famous classical pieces every student should learn - Famous classical pieces for students

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby Stretto » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:33 am

What are some famous classical pieces that you feel every student should learn? What would be your recommendations?

Pieces can include both classical piano literature and piano arrangements of classical works for example piano arrangements of symphony, or opera works or other.

Some of the most obvious would be Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata. What are some others?
Stretto

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:38 am

So much music, so little time! It's hard to know even where to start. Let me take advantage of something already on PEP. A number of years ago, Nancy and I compiled a list of classical solo piano works that we thought every student should at least hear and, perhaps, learn. You'll find those on our Listening List and Composer Resource page, along with links to MIDI recordings of the same works in our Audition Room. Interested individuals might look at our list for some ideas.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:29 pm

I was watching a Glenn Gould interview the other day. What he said was really interesting. He mentioned that playing something real common becomes meaning less ... thats not neaccerily true but he does have a point there that things maybe cliche.
Anyways just a thought ... that something different would still be awsome!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Piano Repertoire