Your most challenging piece of music - What has been your most difficult piece?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby Stretto » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:04 am

What would you consider to be the most challenging or most difficult piece you have learned so far?

Postby 106-1151783342 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:51 am

Hi, I jonied yesterday. Probably I would need to spend more time observing this board before posting.... :p

Chopin Etude Opus 25 No1
The probelm was in the quality of sound.
I had a serious difficulty in keeing the notes evenly. And keeping them legato. I listend to a CD and the music was effortless. Mine sounds like a loud machine cranking.

I stopped taking lessons 10 years ago, but I still wonder if there was anything that I could have done to make it sound better.

Postby drewnchick » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:52 pm

Well, the hardest piece I ever tried to learn is the Tocatta from Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin. I was supposed to learn it for my senior recital in college, but was foiled by the constant sixteenths...they just plumb wore me out. :p

Next to that, I would say Chopin's Ballade in G minor. I actually did learn it for the recital, but it took a lot of work.

Good question! :)
Soli Deo Gloria

Postby 108-1121887355 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:57 pm

It has been a long time - I think the "Pavane" by Ravel was one of the most difficult. I was a voice major and piano minor, but my teacher kept me working hard. Some Debussy was challenging too.

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:55 pm

Hi aand welcome, and if it's any help--the trick to playing that A-flat Etude is to keep turning the hand loosely back and forth at the wrist: sideways only, no twisting--imagine you have a pin straight down through the wrist and can swivel back and forth with the back of the hand staying level. That way you can keep the hand relatively small instead of stretching; when you turn outwards your 5th fingers can reach the outer notes, when you turn back in your thumbs can reach the inner ones, and keeping the hand small means you can play more relaxed and even. Try it!

Dr. Bill Leland.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby pianogal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:28 pm

I've never played a piece that I concider as the hargest, prabably because my teacher chooses a proper leveled song for me most of the time. I think in every piece, there are hard parts, there are parts you have to spend more time to take them down, especially the beginning of each piece. After coping with it, you get use to the song style and find it much easier to learn the rest.

But for some pieces, it's totally different from what I said above, it maybe much harder afterwards.
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday

Return to Piano Repertoire