Brahms rhapsody in bminor  op79 no.1 - Any suggestion?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby hlkok » Sun May 28, 2006 5:24 am

I need to start on my new pieces - Brahms
but i have no idea where to start. does this piece needs strong fingers to play? pls help
hlkok

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sun May 28, 2006 12:57 pm

Well...yes. It also needs good chord technique, good scales, good skips, a good ear for bringing out melodic lines and inner voices, and a strong sense of rhythmic pulse.

This might be the hardest of the three Brahms Rhapsodies. Good luck! Patience!

Dr. Bill.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby hlkok » Mon May 29, 2006 5:13 am

Thx Dr. Bill for replying my enquiry.It helps me to get ready to start.I'm working on it today and yes i need to be patient >.<.

is there any technical books that u reckon i should practise on, in order to help me with technical and musical requiremnt in this piece? i saw brahms technical book does tht help? right now i'm practising Dohnanyi technical , is it useful?
hlkok

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Mon May 29, 2006 5:08 pm

I used Dohnanyi for years--good stuff, except for the exercises in which you hold down notes while playing others; I found that this can cause a lot of tension, especially in stretched out positions. Nos. 26, 31, 32, 33, 36, and 37 would be good--all in double notes. But you've got to stay loose! Do in small sections at first, stopping for a short break when you get tight.

Brahms' own 51 Exercises are kind of weird--ingenious, but demanding a lot of brain work as well as finger work. You have to be careful with some of them.

W.L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby hlkok » Mon May 29, 2006 7:34 pm

Thank you Dr.Bill
I will practise the exercises u mentioned in Dohnanyi Book
hlkok

Postby hlkok » Tue May 30, 2006 6:42 am

when i'm doing these exercises with both of my hands, my left hand felt tight and its hard to stay loose. guess i need to spend more time practising

by the way does ex no.9 help?
is there any way that can make my skips in the piece good and stronh?guess have to practise and again practise.

i started rather slow on my piece but this challenging piece motivates me to practise harder and to work more on my fingers (L.H 4th and 5th) >.<

I still have one prob with the piece i'm working on right now. Bach Book1 #20 in Aminor. Prelude- Bar#7 with R.H the touch of the chord is hard to achieve. any suggestion? Bar 17 and 19 for the R.H the last note of each bar should i just hold it despite of the rest ? Fugue- from bar 31 to bar 34 its just hard for me to bring out the molodic lines and inner voices.

your suggestion will be greatly appreciated ^_^
hlkok

Return to Piano Repertoire