High school students - Teaching pieces

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby 121-1144104834 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:13 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching pieces for high school students? I don't like to have mine working too long on any selection, and don't want them struggling. Many have competing interests, extra curriculars etc.
Examples of pieces I teach at this level are: Chopin Waltzes, Nocturnes; easier Hadyn, Mozart, Beethoven sonatas; Debussy: Arabesques, Claire de Lune, Reverie; Gershwin 3 Preludes.... I'd welcome any suggestions. One of my students is complaining that she wants "fun" music.
Thanks!!
121-1144104834

Postby mirjam » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:12 am

Grieg Lyric Pieces
Martinu Loutky (Puppets) I-II and III
Bartok Rumanian Folk dances
Scarlatti Sonatas
Bach Inventions and French suites
Khachaturian Toccata
Brahms Balladen
Mendelssohn Lieder ohne Worte
Gade Aquarellen
Ravel Pavane pour un enfant defunte
Kabalevski Sonatinas op.13 nr.1 and 2
Schubert Impromptus

These are the student favorites that come to my mind first..

Mirjam
mirjam

Postby Stretto » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:19 pm

Pieces from the Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, i.e. Minuet in G, March, . . .

Clementi - Six Sonatinas

Did your student mean fun as in non-classical perhaps?

I would like to find more music at the intermediate level as well for students.

A couple more ideas: Students always ask to learn Moonlight Sonata and I've had some students interested in Fiddler on the Roof, Sound of Music, and similar music as some are into drama and have been trying out for parts in various plays around town since they were little.

Also, arrangements of patriotic music.

I've noticed it is harder to find music to please students as they get older. I'm thinking it's best if they can be exposed to a huge variety of styles when they're younger so they like more when they get older. I like a huge variety of styles because I always listened to a ton of different styles of music around the house when I was little, folk, civil war, 20's, polka, dixie, western, children's and nursery rhyme songs, and a lot of other odds and ends stuff (except classical, lol - although I like it now). When I was little I just listened to about any music I could get my hands on to see what it sounded like and my parents had a huge variety of music (records) around the house. The only thing they didn't have much of was rock, country, and classical. In my 20's, I even went with a 60 - something yr. old friend to see the Platters and the Lawrence Welk Show in Branson, Mo. and wasn't bored.

Edited By Stretto on 1150836293
Stretto

Postby mirjam » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:22 am

'fun' as in 'non-classical': Christopher Norton Latin preludes 1 and 2, Rock preludes 1 and 2. There are duet books from this series too.
mirjam

Postby pianogal » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:06 pm

I enjoy Rachmaninov's songs a lot!
Fast songs are always FUN!
Oh and I just finished Bach English Suite no. 2 Prelude, It's the most fun song for me so far!

Tcherepnin Bagatelles op. 5 no. 10's good too!
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:58 am

I enjoy Rachmaninov's songs a lot!
Fast songs are always FUN!
Oh and I just finished Bach English Suite no. 2 Prelude, It's the most fun song for me so far!

hahaha dont mean to be a nit picker but you mean piece? songs are musical compositions meant to be sung!

As a teen my preferences (I listen to this stuff) are:

Gershwin's - Summertime and I've got rhythm, rhapsody in blue (long and tricky though ...)
Iving Berlin - Steppin out with my Baby
Joplin Rags -Maple Leaf Rag, Entertainer and Pineapple rag
Winfred Atwell- Black and White rag
Rachmaninov- Rhapsody on theme of Paganini
Rimsky-Korsakov's - Flight of the Bumble Bee

As you can see most of these are all Jazz pieces/songs. I consider them to be fun!

Apart from that I have included Rachmaninov I think this has got to be one of my favorite pieces with the contrasting tone and texture as well as moods.

Hope that helped.

Edited By Becibu on 1191494007
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Piano Repertoire