Teaching good practice techniques

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby drewnchick » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:53 am

Hi everyone,
After reading several threads on many different topics, I feel I have learned a lot about teaching piano! I wonder of you all could also tell me what kinds of instructions you give your students when they go home to practice. I don't remember ever being given actual instructions, other than "fix that note, slow down there" etc. What about practice worksheets?
Any thoughts?
Soli Deo Gloria
drewnchick

Postby drewnchick » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm

By the way, I didn't mean to add an icon that suggested a warning! I thought I was adding the question mark! :laugh:
Soli Deo Gloria
drewnchick

Postby 76-1144948098 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:00 pm

Well, I think worksheets are great, but cover them in the lesson, otherwise you'll never hear/see of it again. I get lots of instruction other than 'slow down, speed up'. Rythms, introduction to new things, technique, new pieces, tips on the tone/sound, dynamics, articulation, etc. There is so much to teach and learn. :)
76-1144948098

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:30 pm

This is an interesting topic. As a student I have had various lesson notes. My second teacher gave no lesson notes which was bizzare but my current one does give out lesson notes.
He breaks down what to work on in steps. The one that is first to be worked on is often something that really needs working on. Also when he marks a piece with a cross that implies that that area MUST be worked on. Underlining and capital letters are written in such a way so I dont forget.
I have an order on what to acheive when I practice as it is written in steps.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Piano Repertoire