How often your m.s. piano students quit lessons?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

How often your m.s. piano students quit lessons?

5 (Very Often)
29%
No votes
29%
14%
1 (Not too often)
29%

Total votes : 7

Postby vivace » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:05 pm

What is (are) the general reason(s) for them to terminate the piano lessons?
vivace

Postby Beckywy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:24 pm

what's m.s.?
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby vivace » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the "middle-school students."

:D
vivace

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:56 pm

Some students are in a band or orchestra and taking private lessons on another instrument and have a lot of homework. Most of mine have stuck with piano. Some stop after 5th grade at the anticipatiion of middle school.
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:30 pm

My students have averaged anywhere from 2 to 5 years of lessons. Out of the one's that weren't that interested to start, they all took about 2 -3 years. Out of those who took 2-3 years, usually they wanted to take another instrument but parents wanted them to have a basic foundation in piano before continuing onto their instrument of choice. Those students all did continue in the instrument that they really preferred and did fine with piano but it wasn't their "true love". Others that took for 2 to 3 years started due to parents that wanted it for them or wanted them to try it hoping their child might decide they really liked it or parents pulled them out of lessons if the student wasn't practicing enough at home or family schedules became too busy.

Of the other students who have started with me, usually around ages 7 - 9, who really "loved" piano, they all took up into the intermediate levels (usually 4 to 6 years of lessons) and then quit around ages 14 or 15 due to not having time with other activities they enjoyed just as well as piano and schoolwork increasing. But of those who really loved piano, I hear that they are still playing for their own enjoyment at home.

All the students that have started with me in the middle school range, again have started from ages 7 - 9. Already at those ages, they showed an interest in certain areas and I'm pleased to hear they are all pursuing the areas they were most interested in since the beginning even if it means it's not piano. Some examples are one student went on to learn drums, one sax, one that started at 7 was already trying out for plays around town at that age and is now doing drama in high school, one was taking dance at 7 and at 14 went to a national dance competition. One student quit piano when junior high basketball came along but I foresee she'll most likely be going onto high school basketball. I came up with a lot of great analogies I can carry over to other students teaching her and her sister both who loved basketball equating a lot about practicing the piano and how to practice to practicing for a sport.

I like to think I played a role in encouraging those students to pursue their main interests. That's more important to me then if they all take piano lessons for years.

Edited By Stretto on 1170362117
Stretto

Postby Beckywy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:11 pm

I find it depends on how the parents teach their kids on work ethics. The parents who over schedule their kids - those kids are the ones that are more likely to quit. The kids who are taught to work hard to achieve goals are the ones who stay.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Return to Piano Repertoire