What are you working on? - What music are you currently learning?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi Joan:

www.austinsj.co.uk--it is a large catalogue of second hand music, and you will deal with very cordial and helpful people.

The Baynon set I mentioned was published by Oxford University Press in 1925; there were two sets, mine is Set II.

Bill.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:53 pm

Thank you, Bill. I am always looking for good music sites. Of course, I really do not need any more music but I like something new.
Joan
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:02 pm

OK, what about an update? What is everyone currently working on?

I started my "stack" but didn't get too far. But I am keeping up a few pieces out of "the stack" daily. - Bach, 2 Pt. Invention #13 (my favorite 2 Pt. Invention). Then a book a student borrowed this week, I was playing through several pieces from that book. I can't remember what all the pieces were so I'll post back when the book is returned. It's funny on that particular book (compilation of classical pieces, intermediate level by Bastien) that I could just open the book and play several pieces and it was as though I already knew them even though I just recently purchased the book for students use and hadn't owned it since way back when. I must have played some of those pieces years ago and just can't remember specifically playing them before.

It was kind of strange playing pieces that seemed familiar. It is kind of like someone you know from somewhere but can't quite place where. Has anyone ever experienced that feeling in playing pieces you thought you haven't played before but yet they seem vaguely familiar?

Edited By Stretto on 1137710478
Stretto

Postby Christine » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:16 am

Hello everyone,

Just a question...does anyone know which is the most recent edition of Maurice Hinson's "Guide to Pianist's Repertoire" and the year (I think it is the third edition, but wanted to be sure I got the most recent, as when you go on Amazon or Chapters, etc., often many editions are listed).

Also, just happened to go to the "big city" music store on the weekend, and found a copy of John Thompson's "Variations on Three Blind Mice" that Dr. Leland had mentioned in an earlier post. It is so cute! It just happened to be in a pile of "odds and sods" and it was the only one. I am sure glad I bought it. Students will love it! (I find it fun to play too!)

Thanks everyone.
Christine

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:28 pm

The most recent edition date I can find is 1994, but it didn't list the edition number. I think this is a pretty safe buy; you can get both new and used copies from Amazon.

Dr. Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Christine » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:19 am

Thank-you Dr. Leland. I am definitely going to invest in this book (have to wait to next month...I have already gone over budget this month on my music book purchases and this one ain't cheap! :) As to music I am currently working on, I am trying to memorize Mozart Sonata K. 332. I am wondering if anyone happens to remember hearing the second movement from a movie? I am no movie buff and never find time to watch them, but I do recall hearing the Adagio somewhere (?). I believe it was on an "Biography" episode about Mozart (of course) but I think I have heard it elsewhere. Just curious...
Christine

Postby 76-1144948098 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:04 pm

What I'm working on right now:

-Milonga del angel by Piazzolla
-Sonata in B flat Major by Cimarosa
-Allemand (from Suite No. 4) by Handel
-The First and Last Movement of Mozart's Sonata K. 545
-Mazurka Op. 67, No. 3 by Chopin
-Solfegietto in C minor Wq 117/2 by CPE Bach (just finishing)

Yup. That's that. :D
76-1144948098

Postby Stretto » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:24 pm

Lina,
That sounds like quite a list. Are you playing some or all of those for your recitals you posted on in the "Performing" forum?

____

Since this topic came back up I guess I'll update what I'm doing. I realized I started a few threads about "this, that, and the other" as far as repertoire. I had the one about Bach Inventions, and recently Kabalevsky, and earlier in this thread mention some others and making a big "stack" of music to go through.

What's happened is I haven't had a teacher myself for quite a while so trying to keep up my skill and bump it up a little. So what I have been doing since I started all these topics is trying to figure out what I would like to learn or what I should learn on my own out of all the music I have - sort of "where do I go from here?". I think I mentioned, I have books where I only learned one or two pieces out of the book assigned to me in the past and always thought I would go through on my own and try to learn more of those.

Well, in trying to "make up my mind" where I wanted to go from here in what to learn and talking about this music and that music on the forum, I ACTUALLY LEARNED SOMETHING! But it wasn't music that I learned! :laugh: I learned something about myself and I can credit being able to write about what I was doing on these threads on PEP with aiding me in learning something about myself!

After looking through several of my books and trying to listen to recordings of various classical music, I've concluded that I don't really like more "complicated" piano music. I learned about myself that I truly love "simpler" music (mostly as in "less" notes) and always have. And I also concluded that I am happy with the level I can play at (although not that grand!) and don't really have a desire to move ahead or advance. If I could advance my skill little by little, it would be fine but I don't have a desire to get to the point of being able to play more "complicated" music at more advanced levels because quite honestly, at least right now, I don't care for the more advance music as much. I like the "simplicity" of the music in the skill levels I can reasonably play. What I mean by simplicity too is I realized I have always mostly liked(maybe everyone is this way) pieces with song-like tunes, question-answer style phrasing, or melodies (but without an overabundance of notes in the accomp. either). I've always liked to try to write music in the style of question answer and little rhyming song-tunes. The more a piece gets "bunched up" with a lot of notes crammed in, the more I dislike playing it and listening to it. Anyone else feel this way? I actually started wondering if I shouldn't have gone into voice instead of piano even or both.

I primarly plan to work most on improving my technique moreso than moving forward to more advanced music.

Has anyone else felt that way, that they have gotten to a point they are happy with the level of music they can play and not interested so much in moving to more advanced music?

Edited By Stretto on 1146177956
Stretto

Postby Chilly » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:36 am

'The more a piece gets "bunched up" with a lot of notes crammed in, the more I dislike playing it and listening to it.'

I fully agree with you here - there is beauty in simplicity! However i watched a movie called Shine a while ago and heard a Rachmaninov piece for the first time. At some points in the piece, it sounded as though there were 2 or even 3 people playing at once! it was truly awesome. I don't see myself ever being able to play that, though it was really inspirational, and after that, i found myself at my piano trying to play my pieces with more zeal.

Other then my exam pieces which i'm working on at the moment, i'm trying to learn a Bach piece. It's a Sonate, but can't remember which one now.

I'd like to get to a level where i can play what is in front of me with not much difficulty. But I have yet a long way to go. :D
Chilly
Chilly

Postby 108-1121887355 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:45 am

I prefer to stay where I am, and work on technique, also, Stretto.
I do a lot of sight reading and review for my students, and prefer to stay on an easier level than previously played, and get it to sound better!

:p
108-1121887355

Postby Mins Music » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:21 pm

I have to seperate what I WANT to do with what I actually DO. I WANT to improve/advance play more and more difficult pieces (including my other instruments) yet when I play the piano it's mostly pieces I already know ... During teaching terms, playing the piano for me is like a big sigh :'ahhhh, that feels better,' and I don't really challenge myself or get out of my comfort zone. I concentrate on sightreading and that's it. Perhaps it's because I'm just so 'spent' with students. During holidays things go better and I often walk up from the studio after a good workout saying "I remember why I love the piano SO MUCH!" It's after these episodes I even daydream about quitting teaching all together and just get back to having a hobby that I can really indulge myself. But then I think of my kids and go 'nah' what's a good piece for THEM to learn this term and I'm back into focusing on something other than me!

So rather than 'content' I'd use the term 'rut' for my repertoire. But, it's pretty diverse, from Billy Joel to Gershwin to Bach, singing along with Phantom or Les Mis ... then if I want to 'jam' with my drum and bass guitar playing hubby it's rock or pop - improvising and singing - really loudly!
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 108-1121887355 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Sounds as though you have found the best way to fully enjoy music! How great!

:D

Joan
108-1121887355

Postby LK123 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:25 pm

I have just started a new batch of pieces for lessons/exam preparation so here goes....

Sinfonia 13 (JS Bach)
Nine Variations on the Theme "Quanto e bello l'amor Contadino" (Beethoven)
Nocturne in E flat Major (Chopin)
June (Tchaikovsky)
Sacro-Monte (Turina)

Don't have a whole lot of time for much else what with kids running around etc, but I have the Mozart Piano Concerto no 21 and Beethoven's Emporer Concerto that I want to learn (one of these days!). I also have lots of popular music that my son likes - Elton John, BlueRodeo etc - and my girls love when I play Disney music for them. The variety does them good and had certainly sparked an interest in them. They love to sit at the piano and "practice" when mommy's turn is over.
LK123

Postby 77-1114733959 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Hi! :D
I want to appologize for being inactive lately.
My Mom had broken her hip, but will be back at home soon.
And I had thus taken a break from practicing, which I regret and will not allow to happen again, as I love to play and to practice the piano.
I'm working on the famous Mozart piano sonata in C major.
Yours sincerely,
77-1114733959

Postby Glissando88keys » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:29 pm

Stretto wrote:OK, what about an update? What is everyone currently working on?

Has anyone ever experienced that feeling in playing pieces you thought you haven't played before but yet they seem vaguely familiar?

For the past week I've been working on the score for Man of La Mancha. I'm the new accompanist for a small community theatre group whose production will begin next week, Oct. 20, and run through Nov. 24.

With only 2 weeks to learn, re-arrange, embellish and perfect the score, as well as work with a group of non-musically trained actors, and a flautist, its been hectic but exciting! I'm having such a grand time of it that I may decide to participate in future productions.

Stretto, I have never ever had the experience you mentioned, yet I continually re-discover pieces I had played as a young student that suddenly pop up through my fingers, seemingly out of nowhere. These are pieces I had learned, and completely forgot that I had learned. Sometimes I don't remember the composer or title, but I suddenly find myself playing a piece I had forgotten about for the longest.

On another post, someone mentioned The Wild Horseman, one of the first classical pieces I learned, but had completely forgotten about until I read the post. Suddenly the entire piece came back to me and I had to run over to the piano and play it, again, after not having played it for many, many, many, many years.
Glissando88keys

PreviousNext

Return to Piano Repertoire