Chopin - What pieces would you recommend?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby Stretto » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:00 am

It seems there are so many people who really like Chopin's music. I haven't played any Chopin for a long time and what I have played of his music was probably arrangements out of beginner books.

What are some of the simplest pieces Chopin has written? Which one's would you recommend?

Edited By Stretto on 1149689430

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:38 am

Many of the mazurkas are fairly simple mechanically, as are the Preludes in A major, C minor, B minor and E minor. You might also consider the Waltz in A minor, both G minor Nocturnes, and the three Ecossaises.

Dr. B.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:47 pm

I have given some of the simpler Mazurkas to students - one adult really enjoyed them (and she worked hard). I love the Preludes in A major and E minor and C minor. Chopin is not easy and I wait to give it to students who are ready and can fullly appreciate it.

Postby Glissando88keys » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Stretto wrote:What are some of the simplest pieces Chopin has written? Which one's would you recommend?

Chopin's Etudes, Op 10
in E, No. 3
in Gb, No 5 "Black Key"
in C, No. 12 "Revolutionary"

are played so often in recitals you could almost play them by ear. This could be a benefit, for the Chopin novice. I would pick the shortest, slowest etudes as introduction so that the student is not exhausted by the physical challenge of playing a longer piece, and for gradually building stamina.

If the student were more mature, I would pick something not "played to death" in recitals, to avoid boredom and create a challenge.

Postby pianogal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:18 pm

Chopin's my favorite composer too!
The simplest and good pieces for me would be nocturnes, not etudes (sorry Glissando88keys, for disagreeing with you). Well, actually, it depends, do you want some songs that are easy on skills, like not too fast, or easy on motions?

If you can move your fingers pretty fast and not be tired, then etuds would be very fun for you.
nocturnes are pretty slow mostly, except for some measures. But to be able to play good, you need a lot of motions, dynamic.

So it all depends.

*don't ever try ballades or scherzos, they are harder than hard! :laugh:

glad you are trying some Chopin pieces, I know you will learning them!
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:33 am

Ahhhh Chopin he really gave the piano that Bel Canto quality in the piano.

As far as easy. I know in John Thompson Book 2 ... (real beggineers) ... there is a very simplified yet full sounding duet with the teacher and student.
I dont know much about method book arrangements though of Chopin ... thats really all I know ... hope I helped.

Edited By Becibu on 1195161214
Music is organised sound

Return to Piano Repertoire