Tchaikovsky - sugar plum fairy - Broken chords

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby celia » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:45 am

I am struggling with bringing up to speed the fast broken chord section in the middle of this. As I can't currently afford a teacher I was hoping for some free advice... I can play the chords together (all 8 notes) up to speed and I have spent much time slowly practising all 8 notes separately but when I try to play it at speed it gets really messy. I desperately want to nail this one as I love it, please help!!
celia

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:37 pm

At speed seperateley? or together? which one have you tried?

It sounds like a technical area to me, I'm no teacher and your level is beyond mine but I wonder, do you follow a technical reigime - of scales, arpeggios and exercises?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby celia » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:32 am

I have been playing the broken chords all 8 notes together at speed because when I try to separate them it gets messy with the order and evenness of the notes.
I have partly solved this problem by playing the unbroken chords at speed, 4 notes left hand, 4 notes right hand etc. It then makes it simpler to play the broken chord notes in the correct order.
However if anyone has any further advice I would be most grateful... Have you studied this piece, Becibu?
celia

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:10 am

Nope, sorry Celia ... can't help much ... What arrangement/edition have you got? ... Maybe I can dig it up and ask one of the five teachers I see in behalf of you (I won't say you asked) ... that's if you want...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby celia » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi Becibu, sorry for late reply... The edition I am playing is Francis and Day, but I think the part in question is pretty standard... It would be great if you could ask one of your teachers for advice - Very appreciated, Celia...
celia

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:28 am

Will do :)
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Piano Repertoire