How can you tell what to do which year?

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Postby 98-1108746069 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:32 pm

Someone on another forum said that you can only play certain pieces after 2 and a half years and other pieces after 4 years and Rack 3 after 8 years etc. How would anyone know that? Is there a list of pieces somewhere that shows you level of difficulty and which year it should be practiced?
98-1108746069

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:43 pm

Welcome to the PEP Forum! Hope you'll stay with us.

Don't worry, you're absolutely right to suspect that this is nonsense. How would anyone know the level of talent, musical background, aptitude for learning, physical capabilities and all the rest, of each individual player? Besides, what does "learn to play" mean, anyhow? Play in tempo? Struggle through it? Play it like Horowitz? Play with notes or from memory? The variables are infinite, and all grading of difficulties has to be very general.

You can say that the Rachmaninoff 3rd is technically more difficult than the slow movement of the Schubert B-flat Sonata, but there are a lot of people who can whiz through the concerto but don't have the musical depth and insight for the Schubert. Etc., etc., etc.

Dr. Bill.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 98-1108746069 » Wed May 04, 2005 5:20 pm

Now I have a new question. I have Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Piano Course. It ends with Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata (no 14). Anyway, I don't know what comes next. So, I looked at the help section here and ordered "Anthology of Baroque Keyboard Music" with DVD (from sheetmusicplus). It says "late intermediate to early advanced". I don't know if the Fur Elise and the Moonlight Sonata are "late intermediate". If it's not, does anyone here know which books I can choose to fill in the gap? (If there is one.)
98-1108746069

Postby presto » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:02 pm

I'm no expert, but I would guess from the last two pieces in the book that you mentioned, that the Anthology you ordered might be too difficult to attempt just yet. From your web handle, I can see that you are a beginner, so you're learning and progressing to the intermediate level; I would say that "late intermediate to early advanced" is beyond what you're doing right now. :(

But don't worry! Either you can return it or I guess you could keep it until you are advanced enough to play it. I'm sure this PEP site has good suggestions for intermediate level books.
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:26 am

Welcome 'beginner 32'

Sounds as though you have a good start with your piano. Every publisher has his own criteria for 'grade 1,' 'grade 2',' early'', late,' etc.

If you have a piano in the music store where they would let you try some books, that would be good. Even a keyboard. If you go when they are not too busy, this should be OK. It is sometimes hard to look at the music and tell if you would like it, or if it is the appropriate level. If you like Alfred - stick with him and go to the next book or books.

Early intermediate to intermediate - if that guide helps - would probably be good. Do check out the PEP site as Presto suggested.

Joan
108-1121887355

Return to Piano Repertoire