Counting Chopin's Nocturne op.48, no.2

Discuss the piano literature and how to teach and learn it

Counting Chopin's Nocturne op.48, no.2

Postby Gomer » Wed May 26, 2010 12:10 pm

I've been trying to learn Chopin's nocturne in f sharp minor, op.48, no.2 and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to count it -- how to balance the very different rythms in each hand. Rubenstein plays the right hand 8ths so straight, and yet the triplets in the left hand don't suffer at all! How does one do it?
Gomer

Re: Counting Chopin's Nocturne op.48, no.2

Postby Suzanne Totterdell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Hallo! I've only just signed up on this forum, so I don't know whether you've solved your counting problem or not, yet? I assume it's the 2 against 3 rhythm that's giving you difficulty? If you still need a bit of help, my suggestion would be to begin with thinking about the combined rhythm in slow motion. Take one group of duplets and triplets and be aware that the 2nd note in the triplet group will play just before the 2nd note of the duplets. The combined rhythm is actually quaver, 2 semiquavers and another quaver (in American I think that's 8th note 2 sixteenth notes and another 8th note!) You could try saying the words "nice cup of tea" (yes, I am British!!) to get this combined rhythm. Patience and perseverance with very slow practice will get you to the point of this becoming a natural, flowing passage. If you are still struggling and this is not clear, write in again, and I'll try explaining it differently. Good luck!
If you've already sorted it out, congratulations, and I hope you're enjoying playing the piece.

Sue Totterdell
Suzanne Totterdell

Re: Counting Chopin's Nocturne op.48, no.2

Postby Gomer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:15 am

Hey Suzanne,
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll definitely have to try it. I actually have not been practicing that piece at all because this Summer has been so busy in other ways, but I do still want to learn it. Thanks so much for your help! (BTW, I love tea. Hot tea. Earl Grey, Lady Grey, English Breakfast -- you name it! Especially while watching a BBC Jane Austen of Charles Dickens. :-D
Gomer

Return to Piano Repertoire