Mozart 250th

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Beckywy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:06 am

Mozart's 250th birthday is this year. Any plans to celebrate it?
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Stretto » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:11 am

I heard that Mozart's birthday was coming up the other day on the radio too. Does anyone's area have any events or concerts in town planned to commemorate Mozart? I never thought of checking.

I thought maybe I would listen to the classical radio station that day as I would assume they might play Mozart all day. In general, I don't take time to listen to the radio or cds as much as I should. I never thought about it but I guess I could try to learn a Mozart piece or have my students learn one or pass out composer information to all my students that week and send home a listening assignment. One of my student's won a cd I had as an award of Mozart's music last year. (K-mart had some inexpensive classical music cd's for $5.99). It had "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" on it. I love that work!

Does anyone have any other ideas teachers could do to incorporate focusing on Mozart's music with students to commemorate his birthday? A teacher could also use it to give student's an idea of historic timeline too. For example, what time period it was 250 years ago and what was going on at the time.

Thanks for the post, Beckywy. I never thought about using Mozart's birthday in correlation with student's lessons. Your post got me thinking. Beckywy, what do have planned to celebrate?
Stretto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:16 pm

This would be a great teaching tool for a lot of other composers, too--you could have pictures, CDs and student assignments about a specific composer at various times in the year. How many of you noticed December 16th? (Poor Ludwig usually gets lost in the Christmas rush--but then it was his 235th, and that's not a nice round number. I guess we'll have to wait 15 more years.)

I gave an all-Mozart program at the U. in 1991, on the 200th anniversary of his death; there were a lot of them around the world at that time. Are any of you teaching the Viennese Sonatinas or other works that could be put together into a recital?

Dr. Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Beckywy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:31 pm

I have a few students learning the minuets and a couple students who can play the fantasy in d minor, as well as a couple sonatas. As for Stretto- I have no idea what I'm doing this year. I'm seeing what other people come up with to get some ideas.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby 108-1121887355 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:35 am

I print out music calendars from The Enchanted Learning site and each lists the composers' birthdays. I give one to each student and keep one next to the piano. We talk some about the dates (noting difference from 1600 to 1800) and if they have played any of their music and we may begin a piece by one.

I also have short stories (2 pages) about composers and some short books as well as note-word stories about composers. I use them on a regular basis. If the student is interested, or has a school report to complete, I suggest that he use the library. I also have a time line and according to what they are studying in school, we can relate to that. Recently found some new information about music in the Middle Ages on the web and copied it out for my grand daughter who is immersed in that period in the 4th grade.

In March, I have a Composers' Month and set up my card table with books, stories, and music, and each student is asked to choose one - one they have played or one they have not. I help them pick out one piece by that composer. Last year I added some longer books on Rags and Women Composers. (Amazon has some great buys in second hand books), as interest was expressed. I have time lines and pictures of some art and architecture in the time periods. I also have pictures of many composers with the name and dates and some of their music listed. I have some series of piano music by Composer and these are also on display.

So, Mozart will get noticed, and so will many others.
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:59 pm

By the way what is the exact date of Mozart's birthday?

Edited By Stretto on 1137031230
Stretto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:33 am

Mozart: B. January 27th, 1756; d. December 5th, 1791.

Dr. B.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:51 am

Stretto, Go on Enchanted Learning site and they have calendars for the year with many composers birthdates. Also, you can get a small music dictionary that lists composers, dates and some of their music. Alfred and Leonard have them. I keep one by the piano and have the student look up a composer and musical terms (also listed) as needed. (While they are looking it up, I write part of their lesson in their book!) I think when one looks up something himself, it is better remembered.
I sometimes give a subtraction lesson as well. Students had to figure out 1756 from 2006 for Mozart. (My younger ones got a brief lesson in "carrying"...also in pronouncing his name.!

:laugh:

Joan
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:17 pm

Thanks for the info. on the resource, loveapiano.

Just a reminder - Mozart's Birthday is coming up this Fri.! :)
Stretto

Return to Music Talk