Hello--i'm back!

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby presto » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:53 pm

Hello, all!

I wonder if some of you have forgotten me (I used to be quite active on this forum, but lately, schoolwork and life's "little extras" have taken priority over other things); I've also noticed that there's now quite a number of new members here, so welcome and hello from me. :)

So, yes, I was not only busy with the above-mentioned activities, but also was diligently (and rather frantically!) preparing for my second piano audition for college after narrowly not passing the first. I spent some time with a fine new teacher who really helped polish my technique and style. If any of you remember my last post on this subject, you may recall that I said I believed that with the help of God, friends, and family, I would be able to pass next time--and as you may have guessed by now--I have!

Thanks for the positive and encouraging words from a number of you back when I needed them so much, and for all the musical help, especially from Dr. Leland. Oh--and Merry Christmas! :D

(Edited because I unfortunately misspelled Dr. L's name--and that after thinking that I had finally remembered the correct spelling! :) )

Edited By presto on 1167185914
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby Mins Music » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:36 pm

I would be able to pass next time--and as you may have guessed by now--I have!

Congratulations Presto and welcome back! :)
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:18 pm

Great news, Presto--now go for it "Presto con Brio"!

Thank you for the nice compliment.

Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Stretto » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:11 am

Missed you. Welcome back!

What pieces did you play? What was the audition process like?
Stretto

Postby presto » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:50 pm

Thanks again, everyone. :;):

Here's a little recap of the audition:

This time around, I had a chance to practice while I was waiting for my turn, so that helped a little. But of course, by the time of The Day itself, almost everything depends on how well you've prepared previously, and I'm glad to say I had worked hard. The day before the audition, however, my new teacher pointed out a few _more_ things that could stand some polishing, but he finished with, "But don't worry too much about it, just do your best tomorrow and try to play naturally."

Well, I tried to remember that advice and did my best. When I was playing my pieces though (Minute Waltz op.64 no.1 by Chopin and Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words op. 102 no.7), I got a recurrence of an awful sympton of nervousness that has plagued me before during performances--have any of you ever had jackhammer-like shaking in the leg that is working the pedal? I think it's partly because of how I was sitting on the bench. But in any case, I determined to plough my way through them and finish no matter what, and I did.

I think what really helped me to pass was what I did before that, the scales. The arpeggios went all right, but the scales were what really shone. They were very impressed by the fact that I played whatever they asked me at random almost perfectly and without much hesitation. That's due to the fact that I've been practicing the circle of 5ths for most of this year, trying to memorize it to perfection--and it paid off!

There was a little piece of sightreading that was the same as last time, and it didn't give me much trouble.

That was it. Later that day, I got the great news that I'd made it. :)

Edited By presto on 1167186125
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby Glissando88keys » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:53 am

Awesome, Presto!!! You've worked so very hard for this and you deserve to bask in all the glory that accompanies such an accomplishment!!! :D

Edited By Glissando88keys on 1167461682
Glissando88keys

Postby presto » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:46 pm

As a Southerner might say (with a blush)..."Aw, shucks...thanky!"
So nice of you to say that. :)
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Return to Music Talk