The new year - New year resolutions

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Beckywy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:40 am

What are your musical resolutions for 2006?

My resolutions include getting a group of students together to play for the local nursing home, and raise more money through our benefit concerts for our local children's hospital.

For myself, to transcribe a CD by ear.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:07 am

That's great, Becky. Local and area nursing homes and retirement centers are wonderful places for students to get experience performing and learn volunteer service at the same time, and they have the most appreciative audiences in the world. The big problem is always finding a suitable piano.

Good luck, and Happy New Year.

Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Stretto » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:45 pm

Becky,

That's such a neat idea doing benefits, and playing for nursing homes. I really enjoyed reading the thread about your last benefit concert. I'm glad it worked out previously and you are going to do it again. The people in retirement or nursing homes I would think make great audiences as it would be good and enjoyable for them to see the kids and they would be only encouraging and not judgemental.

I took my own kids to a retirement center this Halloween where the residents were seated in the lobby giving out candy to kids invited from our neighborhood school and noticed they have a great looking grand sitting in the lobby. Your post reminded me, I was going to call and check if the center would be interested or allow us to hold a recital and invite the residents there. By the way, that just reminded me. Once in high school choir, we sung at a nursing home and I saw one of my previous piano teachers was a resident there.

What does transcribing a cd entail and what do you use for recording equipment?

Edited By Stretto on 1135644523
Stretto

Postby minorkey » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:33 pm

Beckywy wrote:What are your musical resolutions for 2006?

-learn more music theory
-begin to learn other styles of piano playing (blues, rock, pop, jazz etc.)
-along the same lines: memorize some chords and be able to play from a "fake" book
-play some duets with piano-playing family members and friends
minorkey

Postby Beckywy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:32 pm

Chords in a fake book is easy.
ie.
C (is the C major chord with a 7th) is CEGB
Cm (is the C minor chord with a 7th) C Eflat G B
C7 (is the dominant 7th chord starting on C) C E G Bflat
Cdim7 (is the diminished 7th chord starting on C) C Eflat Gflat and Bdouble flat.

And when they ask for a flat5 or flat7, that's just what it means.
The easiest way to get started is just to play the root and 7th notes for chording with the melody.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby minorkey » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:13 pm

Thank you!! I've begun practicing them already. This is one resolution I will keep! :)
minorkey

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:09 pm

Stretto, I'm not sure just what you mean by 'transcribing' a CD. Copying one is easy--nearly all state of the art computers today have the software or can be easily upgraded for it.

If you mean cutting a CD, I have Sound Forge Studio with which I make CDs both from cassette tapes of earlier live performances and from my own piano, using home recording equipment. It's an excellent program which permits editing as well as improving sound that may not have been well recorded in the first place.

If you're trying to transcribe written notation from CD sound, I think Sibelius can do it.

B.L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Beckywy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:22 pm

Transcribing a CD... I meant to take a Jazz CD and listen to it a few hundred times, and try to figure out what the pianist on the CD is doing 1 bar at a time - listen to a couple seconds, of a piece, and run to the piano and try to dublicate it. My teacher tells me it will take about 8 hours to transcribe 1 song by ear.
Beckywy

Postby 108-1121887355 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:15 am

Beckywy,
Getting students together to bring joy to others with their music is TOPS!
I only have a few students, and getting them together on one day is really hard. They are all TOO busy with other activities. I am working on a Saturday or Sunday, though, and the facilities like that as their staff is often low and there are no regular activities then. Also, there is a lull after the holidays, so Jan and Feb are good times. I may just go with a few and we may even play "Heart and Soul" a few times! The older people know this one well and enjoy it! Some are also going to the home of an 87 year old and she is going to play for them too! The "home bound" can use cheering too, but time consuming.
My resolution...just to keep offering all that I have to give pleasure to others through music...teaching, listening, playing, singing...

Joan
108-1121887355

Return to Music Talk