Favorite pop pianist/keyboardist - ... and why?

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:31 am

I thought it might be fun to talk about pop pianists and keyboard artists. We tend to think mostly of classical pianists here, so this gives us an opportunity to think more broadly about what makes a non-classical pianist interesting to listen to and admirable.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby socksrock » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:56 pm

I like Hello (by Evanescence)

I also liked 100 years by five for fighting.

I would love to learn either :p
socksrock

Postby Glissando88keys » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:45 pm

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:I thought it might be fun to talk about pop pianists and keyboard artists. We tend to think mostly of classical pianists here, so this gives us an opportunity to think more broadly about what makes a non-classical pianist interesting to listen to and admirable.

Popular keyboardists and pianists would probably include many more artists and pieces of music than classical, so I feel that this topic is extremely relevant. My perception is that classical music is differentiated from popular in that classical music encompasses artists and musical pieces that are time - honored, as opposed to popular music, which is, by definition, popular with a vast number of people, today. Perhaps classical music of by - gone eras was once considered popular?

By that definition, I would like to mention an artist whose music I find admirable as well as beautiful, David Foster. I feel his artistry has the potential of becoming classical one day.

Edited By Glissando88keys on 1165520791
Glissando88keys

Postby Beckywy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:52 pm

David Foster - a Canadian. Good choice. One of the first pieces of his I played was the '88 winter olympics theme he wrote.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:56 am

I have been listening lately to the amazing piano playing in Elton John's songs, as well as billy joel's music. And since i'm 46, i admit to being a closet Barry manilow fan; his piano playing is terrific. Listen to "when October goes" and be amazed! Back to elton, his pop style is fantastic. From ballads like candle in the wind and someone saved my life tonight, to the driving beat of crocodile rock: fantastic stuff. Among contemporary players, I enjoy diana krall, jamie cullum and carol welsman (canadian) to name a few. Oh, and my daughter introduced me to Amy lee's piano playing in the band evanescence, nice stuff for hard rock(not my favorite). and listen carefully to the piano in Billy Joel's "baby grand", "Honesty", Piano man, and others. wonderful pop playing.
Dan

Postby Stretto » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:15 pm

Hmmm . . . can't think of pop that's specifically relegated to pianists/keyboardists although I can think of a lot of pop music I like not necessarily mainly utilizing piano/keyboard. Can someone help me out with a list of pop pianists/keyboardists that exist that haven't been mentioned?

One thing about pop, I tend not to pay as close of attention to artists but like to play through books of pop music and find all those old trinkets that I've forgotten and say, "hey, I forgot about this song!" or those one's I could say, "hey, I've heard this before!"

In pop, I sort of have more of an affinity for a good song so don't pay as much attention to the instruments used.

Edited By Stretto on 1185826663
Stretto

Postby Glissando88keys » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:53 am

Guest wrote:I have been listening lately to the amazing piano playing in Elton John's songs, as well as billy joel's music. And since i'm 46, i admit to being a closet Barry manilow fan; his piano playing is terrific. Listen to "when October goes" and be amazed! Back to elton, his pop style is fantastic. From ballads like candle in the wind and someone saved my life tonight, to the driving beat of crocodile rock: fantastic stuff. Among contemporary players, I enjoy diana krall, jamie cullum and carol welsman (canadian) to name a few. Oh, and my daughter introduced me to Amy lee's piano playing in the band evanescence, nice stuff for hard rock(not my favorite). and listen carefully to the piano in Billy Joel's "baby grand", "Honesty", Piano man, and others. wonderful pop playing.

I've been playing pieces from both Billy Joel Greatest Hits Volume I and II. I enjoy playing "My Life" and "New York State of Mind" as well as "Goodnight Saigon", "Just The Way You Are" and "She's Always A Woman". I plan on playing the other songs in the collection as well.

I have a student who requested to learn "We Didn't Start The Fire", "Piano Man" and "She's Always A Woman," so we worked on them together, and she loved it! Another of my students is working on "Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John, because she loves the beat.

A few of my students have fun learning pop arrangements. I have used some of Phillip Keverin arrangements of Beatles music, because his arrangements can be quite beautiful.

One of my students performed, "Yesterday," by the Beatles, at the last recital. His expressive delivery of this song totally captivated the audience. For her first recital, another student gave a fine performance of "Golden Slumbers." :D
Glissando88keys

Postby celia » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Guns N' Roses were one of my favourite bands when I was a teenager and beyond all the rock n' roll lifestyle that surrounds them, Axl Rose is a brilliant pianist, composer, lyricist and singer!! I have always loved playing their songs on the piano, particularly "Estranged"
celia

Postby celia » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:28 pm

Muse also have a very talented pianist...
celia

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:37 am

Hrmmm I love Michael Nyman and George Winston.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Music Talk