Organizations for music education?

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:43 pm

This was posted in another forum by Beckywy. I have moved it here to give it a little more exposure in another forum - John Zeigler

"There have been a major push to get our children involved with physical education - joining sport teams, being involved physically for their physical health. There are tons of organizations and charities for "sports for kids" etc to get kids off the streets by having them involved in organized sports. Is there someway we could do something similar in terms of music education?"

Beckywy

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1108334851
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Beckywy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:52 pm

Has anyone heard of music schools that cater to the "have-nots"?
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby 65-1074818729 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:00 pm

I did a Google search under “free music classes” and there were web sites listed. I don’t know what geographic location you are interested in, but you could take a look.

AFlat :D
65-1074818729

Postby Beckywy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:53 pm

Hi AFlat:
Yes, but I'm talking more along the lines - we as music educators tend to cater to the middle to upper classes. Has anyone heard of music conservatories or schools that give good quality music education to kids of low-income families?
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Stretto » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:25 am

Are you thinking for discounted or free private instruction or . . . ?

Although I haven't heard of any schools, there is a place in our town where low-income kids can come for activities. I heard the lady in charge give a talk once about ways a person could volunteer and one thing she mentioned was that music teachers could provide free private music lessons to the kids. Other organizations would probably gladly hook a teacher up with a student needing free lessons if asked.

A church here in town also has a "School of Music". Any private teacher with a degree can teach there but they are required to teach at the church and not in their own home or studio. Anyone can take lessons at about the average lesson price for this area and they have recitals, etc. for the whole bunch. I don't know, but perhaps if someone were to inquire, they may provide a 'scholarship' for free lessons based on income. There are a lot of people in that church willing to provide help when asked.

Probably these ideas aren't what you were thinking but that's the only thing I've heard of.

Edited By Stretto on 1122407471
Stretto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:44 pm

I had two teachers in my early years who gave me free, or very nominal, lessons. I learned much later that one of them set up the formal fiction of "available scholarships" as though it were a standard practice, so my mother wouldn't be embarrassed to just "take charity". I've done the same thing on occasion.

Dr. B. L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:05 pm

"Free Lessons" I have given lessons at no cost, and for barter. When engineers were laid off, many in our nreigborhood ( a long time ago), I bartered with some parents who were retiscent to take free lessons. I tried to expalin that the child had enough to deal with and not to take away the pleasure of piano. All continued. I did get some sewing done and a few meals delivered at 6pm when I finished teaching. Also gave some lessons at no or low cost to children at a private Christain school. It was done through the parent individually. I would like to do some lessons for people who cannot afford it, but it is not something easy to advertise. I do let it be known, through my piano families. I may try the schools through their 'before' and 'after' programs.
Joan
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:21 pm

I just received a brochure in the mail regarding the "Boys and Girls Club". They provide an after school and summer care program for children in our community. It says they have a "Power of Music" program which, "enables members to utilize skilled instructors to teach a variety of music lessons. Piano, violin, cello, guitar, and drums are taught on a weekly basis." The "Boys and Girls Club of America" website says it has over 3,000 Clubs worldwide.

Edited By Stretto on 1123038788
Stretto

Postby Beckywy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:22 pm

When I was younger, I had to stop piano when I reached the advanced grades because my parents couldn't afford the piano tuition anymore...until I reached my late teens, and found a teacher 60km away with good qualifications that was half the price of the teachers in my city...but it was a 7 year search before I found an affordable teacher - the cost for the commute and his tuition was still less than the average tuition of lessons in my area.
Beckywy

Return to Music Talk