Introductions - Welcome to the board!

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Mins Music » Mon May 03, 2004 4:58 pm

Membership of PEP's Message Board grows every day! Welcome to everyone who posts and reads these messages.
Would you like to introduce yourself? Let us know what part of the world you are from, whether you're a teacher, a student or a performer or composer or ANYTHING! :laugh:
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 109-1082165152 » Tue May 04, 2004 9:47 pm

I suppose I should start since I'm reading it now and no one has posted yet. So here we go.

Actually, please visit www.tafunawarriors.freeservers.com/fine ... culty.html

I know it's a long address but hey.... :p

If you have questions please email me! :;):
109-1082165152

Postby 87-1089120367 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:55 am

Hi All

I do not live in the States, though I was born in San Diego. I have been teaching keyboard (and some guitar) for over 10 years. I am still searching for the perfect book. Thomsons is possibly the best musically, but I hate the fingering over every single note. How many times has it happened that the pencil is pointing to F and the student replies "4".

Having a Forum for teachers to discuss methods and problems is very exciting and PEP is the greatest!
87-1089120367

Postby Mins Music » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:23 am

Wild Rose wrote:I am still searching for the perfect book.

Mmm, it's an interesting endeavour. I just said to my husband yesterday while we were travelling five hour trip to visit his folks, "sometimes I think it would be a good idea if I designed my own series of methods ... publish them and become rich and famous, or just rich."

His reply was ... "Hmff."

So I answered myself with, "yeah just what the world needs, ANOTHER piano method on the market!" ....and went and bought the Piano Adventure's Accelerated Course for older beginners. I've heard rave reviews about it so thought I'd give it a go. I have two students who will be ready for a new book soon.

Wild Rose, what part of the world do you live in? I'm from Australia. :)
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 87-1089120367 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:42 am

The thing about "Method" books is that really everyone has their own. The problem with books that use a lot of popular tunes is that students don't learn to read. The list is rather long. There are so many books out there because only a few really do the job - and the rest are only moderatly usesful.

If what you want to do is different - or simple more to today's students taste - go for it.

The real note is that these things are really humongous amount of work.
87-1089120367

Postby Mins Music » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:05 am

Wild Rose wrote:The real note is that these things are really humongous amount of work.

Huge!! I think that's why it enters my mind for about half a minute, and then is replaced by something else! As it is, I design so many materials for my own students. It's this part of teaching that I really enjoy though ... I remember when I was about twelve, for fun I'd make up worksheets - for English, for history and 'pretend I had a class full of students. When I was very young, I'd line up my teddy bears and teach them
... I think I was a weird child....

Wild Rose, was teaching your first choice as a career?
Mins Music

Postby 87-1089120367 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:40 am

No I don't think you were unusual as a child. Most children tend to line up teddybears or siblings to teach them something.

My first love was Art, later Biology came up, then professional sewing for awhile. But music was always there.

I have found that teaching one-on-one gives a satisfaction that can be gained no other way. My daughter, who teaches a class of 11th graders says she couldn't take the intensity. And it is Very intense. Love it!
87-1089120367

Postby Mins Music » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:42 pm

Wild Rose wrote: My daughter, who teaches a class of 11th graders says she couldn't take the intensity.

I was a high school teacher before I went private. I also taught in two primary schools .... now THAT's intense. I wasn't well suited to the emotional dependency of younger children. That was nearly twelve years ago now. I have the option to go back, and school teachers have asked me to do casual work, but I'll stick to the private studio. Being your own boss has definite advantages.

As much as I love the one on one teaching, my favourite thing at the moment is my group theory class I hold once a month.

Does anyone else do group work?
Mins Music

Postby 97-1090280688 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:17 pm

Just started leaning to play the piano. I'm 36 years old! Wish I had started along time ago! I'll be taking a piano classes soon. Love all types of music! :;):
97-1090280688

Postby Mins Music » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:07 pm

Welcome to the board ansymo! Never too late to learn the piano. I teach a 65 year old man who has never had lessons before, and he's really enjoying it. :)
Mins Music

Postby 100-1091480939 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:38 pm

Hello!

I am a piano teacher from Abbotsford, BC, Canada and have been teaching piano for 8 years. I took a year off but now I am gearing up for teaching in Fall again.

Darcie
100-1091480939

Postby Mins Music » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:47 pm

Hey deedee! Welcome to the board! I hope you enjoy your teaching again. Will you be teaching students you had before, or starting completely from the beginning?
Mins Music

Postby 100-1091480939 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:17 pm

I think it will be a combination of previous and new students. I want to be careful about recruiting students from other teachers in the area as I'm friends with many of them. :)
100-1091480939

Postby 109-1089922742 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:17 pm

I'm a 21 year old senior at University of the Arts. I recently started teaching a high school age student who surpassed his previous teacher. Looking to get a few private students looking for more advanced comcepts, jazz, improv, free playing, as well as the usual classical rep.
109-1089922742

Postby 83-1102043603 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:23 pm

Hello Everyone!!

Well my real name in Michael. I come from London, England and I've been learning to play the piano (by myself so far) for 6 months but I'm worried without proper guidence I'm doing myself more harm than good. I am improving but I have nobody to correct bad techniques and give my pointers. With little money on my side I'm striving now to learn how to play and play well the worlds most grand and greatest of musical instruments. It is for the sheer love of the piano I found the PEP and have gone through a lot of pages on the site.

Even though I'm going on 25 years old I've even perused the "Just for Kids" section of the site (two thumbs up). I love the composer interviews (Extremely well done). I found the really informative and often amusing.

Well a little about me...
I'm 25 years old in Feburary 2005 and use (brackets) to emote myself quite a lot (That was quite a little about me!)

And er... I love the website, and keep up the good work guys!
83-1102043603

Next

Return to Music Talk