Composing - When have your best compsitions happened

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby 108-1121887355 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:32 am

The younger students who compose, I help write out the music, but I do it with them at the lesson first, in pencil. These are usually very short pieces. May make sugestions, or just have them play it again next week to be sure it is just as they want it to sound. As, do you want it louder here, or slower? etc. Some put in their own words or if using a poem, we look at the words to see if they help with ideas for the sound. Then it is written in ink in their manuscript books (I keep the book until the next lesson to write it out).

For 'older' students I encourage them to write it out themselves and then we look at it together at the lesson. Rhythm can be a challenge. There was one piece last year that changed from 3/4 to 4/4 and back several times. The student did not want to change the sound, so I helped write it out and found some contemporary music that had similar changes. Her piece was definately contemporary!

Sometimes I need to convince students to have an even number of measures from 4 to 8 to 12 etc. I have received arguements and 'whys?' A tied note often solves the problem and satisfies the composer, after much discussion!

I have taped some long compositions as I do not have lesson time to complete them. I will begin at the lesson and show the student everything that was done afterward, and have her play it to be sure it is just as she wants it to sound and discuss any rhythm or other so she understands why it is written that way. Two years ago, a student wrote words and music and made up a dance to her piece "Fantastical Self" It was great but it took a lot of listening and a key change. It had three verses and a chorus. She learned alo as we worked on it - including a new word "modulation". She was 10yo in her 2nd year.

Composing teaches a lot!!
108-1121887355

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:22 am

I just got myself a blank 'inspration/expression' notebook or journal. Basically there are no rules with it whatever I feel, whatever see, what ever idea, what ever sentence what ever picture WHATEVER comes to me I have to capture and contain. I've drew images of old trees, pictures of people, phrases and journal entries expressing my feelings and innermost emotions.

Through that whole week I have been writing melodies and songs and lines just come. I'm inspired every slight moment and evey second .. ok maybe not every second, I was just listening to a guy laughing and it gave me an idea to write a melody based on that rhythm.

Its amazing to me how music is so expressional and I can really see it through composing! It captures plenty of depth and can communicate so much despite the times when there are no words. I'm working on 15 works right now ... I know it might sound like a heap but really they are just the ideas I have collected over the week that are beginning to evolve, some are jsut in he form o lyrics I have based outta my journals ... others I have set a rhythm to, some I have written a melody for ... its a lot of fun!

Composing is a lot of fun!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Previous

Return to Music Talk