What is in your future? - What are your plans?

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby 65-1074818729 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:48 am

Stretto started an interesting topic on how we as individuals, have pursued our musical interests. Pursuing Music

Using that same thought, but heading in the opposite direction, I think it would be interesting to describe where we would like to be 10 years from now in terms of our musical endeavors. For example, do the teachers want to enlarge their studios and have a larger staff, or do they want to perhaps teach less but supervise other teachers? Maybe they want to further their education and possibly obtain a PhD. in their chosen discipline.
And where do computers and other technological advances fit into your future plans?

And what about the students. Where do you hope to be with your musical pursuits in the years ahead? Do you want to eventually play in an orchestra, become a composer, or perhaps become a teacher?

As a student, 10 years from now I would like to be strong technically and be capable of reading music very well. I want to finish at least grade 8 in the RCM. and also be able to play several styles of music including jazz, blues, rock etc. I definitely want to be capable of improvising more and have a varied repertoire. Presently, I have no plans to play publicly, but who knows, that could change.

We all have our hopes and dreams. What are yours?

AFlat

:;):
65-1074818729

Postby Stretto » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:43 am

This is a good question. I remember learning in a goal setting course at an office once, that people who write down their goals are much more likely to attain them. Anyone posting here will get the added benefit from writing down their goals.

Between now and the next 10 years, I hope to have enough piano students to bring in adequate supplemental income to enable me to stay home. I have thrown around other ideas of generating more means of income by possibly teaching music to a home-school group, teaching an in-home group music class for preschoolers, and my favorite idea which is teaching an in-home music appreciation class targeted mainly for seniors. (The area where I live is a popular place to retire).

I am not currently taking lessons, but am planning on finding a teacher this fall to help me improve my technique and current level of playing, perhaps advance a level or two, learn jazz and blues so that I can teach it, get help with personal compositions, and help with advice on my teaching. (Does that sound like a tall order?) The local college here also has since added piano pedagogy classes after I graduated so I might take a class on it at some point.

I am also planning to purchase a computer program for composing within the next year so that I can use it to write personal compositions. I would also use the program to help any interested piano students with composing. Maybe if I practiced writing music enough I could even give composition lessons someday. Along the composition lines, I would like to form or get involved in a small group of novice composers to talk to about the pieces everyone is working on, etc. I also would use the computer program to write out my own theory and technique sheets for my students as well as compile a theory workbook from scratch not in order to market it but just to have enough copies for my students. It would be a basic streamlined approach to "everything a student needs to know to survive a 'theory 101' college course" and also as a reference a student can use 20 years down the road.

Also in college, I became mesmerized with the idea that, yes, a musical score actually consists of chord progressions, modulations, cadences, form, etc., etc. (things I never knew existed when taking private piano lessons as a kid). Now when I'm playing the piano I would almost rather sit and analyze the score than play it. I find it fascinating how a piece is put together. Although I haven't taken the time currently, perhaps in my old age you might find me sittng around analyzing scores for the fun of it, reading information on music history and how the history of the time period influenced the music, or scouring through books at a music library trying to absorb information on anything and everything related to music.

Well, these are all ideas, dreams, and goals. But writing them out and telling other interested people about them usually makes me more likely to turn them into realities. :cool:
Stretto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:18 pm

When I first had a course in Form and Analysis at the Philly Conservatory it was like a new dimension had been added to everything I'd ever done with music, and it also helped my playing a lot later on when I taught Form for years at NMSU.

It's so easy to get totally microscopic when you practice--after all, just mastering the keyboard problems is a lifetime in itself. But the missing element I have noted most often in students' playing, and even in that of many professionals, is the sense of architecture. You hear beautifully shaped phrases going by, one after the other, all identical as a picket fence, because the player hasn't ever backed off and figured out just where the piece is going and how it gets there. Not all fortes are alike, nor are all ritards, crescendos, etc. It's not just a matter of dry academic analysis and labeling--analyzing a composition with interpretation in mind can bring it to vivid life, and keep you a student for the rest of your days because there's always more to discover.

Boy, Stretto, you have a lot of things in mind you want to do! My grandfather would say, "Don't bite off more than you can chew."--but later on I heard somebody say, "Bite off more than you can chew and then chew it!" I liked that much better.

Dr. B.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 65-1074818729 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:54 pm

Stretto,
After reading your plans, I realize mine are rather meager.
Your ambition is to be commended.

Your response and that of Dr. Bill started me thinking, that perhaps I too should look beyond the keyboard. There is a univesity near my community which has a facalty of music, and a few courses in form, interpretation or perhaps composition might be just what I need.

AFlat
:)
65-1074818729

Postby Beckywy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:24 am

Perform all 48 Preludes and Fugues of Bach's. I've analyzed them all, might as well play them.

Also started lessons in free jazz.

Edited By Beckywy on 1125763571
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Return to Music Talk