What styles of music do you play? - What styles do you play?

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

What styles of music do you play? - What styles do you play?

Jazz
11%
Classical
89%
Blues
No votes
Rock
No votes
Pop
No votes

Total votes : 9

Postby Beckywy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:02 pm

Most of the threads have a classical feeling to them. How many of you play other genres besides classical?
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby 65-1074818729 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:01 pm

Most of my piano experience so far has been in the classics. As a student, I am following the RCM system and most of the music in the RCM system is of the classical genre. I have learned a few other pieces, such as show tunes, a bit of rock & roll etc. , but not very many.

I find by the time I practice my RCM pieces, scales, reading practice etc. there is not much time left for learning other pieces. I am going to make a concerted effort in the near future to learn some Blues pieces. After I finish grade eight of the RCM, I will probably learn blues and jazz. At least that is my plan at this time.

How about yourself Beckywy. What genres of music do you like to play?

:cool:
65-1074818729

Postby Beckywy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:22 am

Hi AFlat,

Well, Saturday nights, my mom has the kids, so that is my jam night. I have musician friends come over to my house, and we play 12 bar blues - because it's the easiest to get together and play together.

I started jazz piano lessons with a good jazz pianist, and I can tell you, it's very different from conventional classical piano lessons. Most of it is by rote. Jazz voicing - there's a formula to follow which is very easy to learn, and applies to almost all pieces. I've completed my ARCT, and after which, I was searching for the "what else?", and started the jazz. It's a lot of fun.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Stretto » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:01 pm

Most of the styles besides classical I like to play are:
Arrangements of Early American Folk and Civil War Tunes
Arrangements of Hymns (don't like playing chordal style straight out of a Hymn book, however)
Nursery Rhyme Tunes and Children's songs (enjoy them for myself too)
Arrangements of Disney Tunes
Some Pop tunes
Praise and Worship (don't play for church - just personal enjoyment)

When I was a teenager I mostly listened to Contemporary Christian music so I played a lot of my favorite artists music. Most of those artists music is kind of outdated now and I never kept up with the new Contemporary Christian artists that are popular now. I used to browse the music stores occasionally as a teen and just pick something I liked, take it to my teacher and say, "I would like to learn this." I have a huge thick book of old Broadway tunes I did this with. Since I was a kid, I had this huge stack of 45 records from my aunt of all different styles, plus my kids records, my parents records. I've heard other people say they did this too, but I would just sit by my little kids record player and go through the whole stack in one sitting, then sometimes play through all my parents records on their stereo, so I basically listened to about everything I could get my hands on even as a small child and I had most all the words to the songs on all those records memorized. When I started taking piano and even now, I still like to play about every type of music I can get my hands on. It's exciting to open a piece of music and see what it's going to sound like, kind of like a good book. Country is one style I used to not care for much, it all sounded the same and too "twangy", but now that pop has merged kind of more with country, I like some of that now too, but don't play it much. I am just now getting ready to try to figure out blues, jazz, and rock improv. styles if I can get around to it. I mainly want to learn these so I can teach them.
I was really caught off guard when I walked into the local university to pursue a music degree and my first private piano instructor in discussing what kind of music I would be learning let me know that there wasn't much place for learning arrangements and other various styles there. I really didn't expect this. He said one should learn to play the classics first and then you can go and play the pop, arrangements, etc. But this is where I really began to absolutely fall in love with classical music to the point where it became my favorite style of music, although I still really love the stuff I listed above. I've always liked simple song tunes as found in folk and children's music so like to play equally as well.
Stretto

Return to Music Talk