Lieder - Anyone into lied?

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:01 am

The two instruments I play are voice (yes voice is a legitimate instrument) and piano. Recently I have been looking into lieder and its really interesting.

If nobody knows what lieder is its translated as "song". It consists of piano and voice. Piano is not just for accompainment but the piano is the essence of the song. The piano is equally important in Lieder as the voice.

Anybody looked into Lieder? Or know something? I know that Schubert composed a lot of Lieder in the past ...

Edited By Becibu on 1206336659
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:36 pm

... I get the feeling that I am talking to myself ... nobody into lieder?
Just researched a bit more... Chopin composed 19 lied songs in polish.
... anybody have anything to contribute?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Guess I'll keep taking to myself then,

I am learning a Lied at the moment its by Mozart. Titles Das Lied der Treunnung Kv545. Its written for high voice and the dynamic ranges from p to f. Interestingly it is quite dramatic in its nature the lyrics (sung in German) depicts a person mourning over the parting of his ex-lover. The dynamic are not gradual rather they are direct. From p to f and f to p without crescendoing or decrescendoing.
Mozart's music takes unpredictable turns. His scores are greatly expressive.

Anyone have any Lieder knowledge to share?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:32 am

Sorry, to keep being annoyingly persistent on discussing Lieder. I brought a new book full of Mozart Lieder for High Voice, Mozart has written melodies that contrast and have unpredicatable phrases. He's my favorite composer but I know Chopin wrote 19 lieds and I have listened to one which is lovely. Also Schubert wrote over 700, many know him for his Lieder.

Many Lieds were in German, a language which many of the Composers were no doubt familiar with. I do know that there are Italian Lieds though.

Discovering Lieder is interesting, I would like to know about the background of how Lieder was played because Lieds seem to be quite discreet opposed to operas which were large productions. Also how they are to be played, besides the pianist and singer collaboratively working together both of great importance, the piano is not merely accompainment.

Well anybody? Anything?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:54 am

Learning more and more about lied and hoping, actually anticipating a message from someone else but me.

I just learnt the other day that Lieder was not composer for entertainment purposes. They were pieces composed for education purposes. So an audience was never really intended ... interesting ...

:) ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Music Talk