Best music program - What do you like?

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:15 pm

There are a great number of excellent radio and TV programs for the general public these days. Including tapes, DVD's and other recordings, what do you like or what would you recommend to others?

To start the discussion, I'll throw in my two cents worth: I have listened to Karl Haas' daily radio program, Adventures in Good Music, for more than 25 years now. Haas, a pianist by training, offers a lively and interesting discussion of musical themes, forms, and composers, built around a great deal of enjoyable listening. I look forward to being in the car to listen to him without interruptions (I refuse to have a cell phone). His program is broadcast in almost all reasonably large radio markets, originating from WCLV in Cleveland. We link his web site on our links page. You can get programs and stations carrying the program there. :cool:

(Dr. Haas passed away in February of this year, but the program is still running existing installments. It is expected to be syndicated and continue in "re-runs")

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1129323629
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Beckywy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:39 pm

Here, there's only 2 classical stations - and the music is not serious - only light classics so, I find them boring after a while because they tend to play the same things over and over.

Edited By Beckywy on 1129318816
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:54 pm

I wasn't talking only of radio programs, though the example I gave happens to be one. Can you recommend any video, recording or other educational tool for music teaching?
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby 97-1128742375 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:40 pm

yes, it would be great if anyone could recommend anything of the sort! :D
only on weekends, there is a channel on tv with all performing arts. occasionally, they have piano. anyone know of anything more centered into piano?
97-1128742375

Postby Stretto » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:25 pm

Dr. Zeigler:

Do you want us to recommend only classical or any style? Also do you want us to recommend only piano music or any instrumental/vocal music? Also, it sounds like you are thinking in terms of educational purposes especially to use for teaching. Is that what you were thinking?

I did come across the PEP link to Karl Haas' program once before, thanks for reminding me because I meant to look into it more and forgot. It seems like I ran across a link, Classics for Kids or something like that that looked pretty neat I need to look into more too.
Here in our area, the local state university's radio station plays classical music at certain times of the day with a lot of recorded interviews, live interviews, etc. I really should be doing more researching on this stuff and listening to more music. This is a good question. I'm the type of person who when overwhelmed by choices (as with recordings of music), I just throw in the towel and don't look into any of it. It's hard to know where to start when confronted with too much, so recommendations as on this thread would be a wise place for me to start in knowing what the best music is to be listening to. I would like to find some classical music websites that play recorded music or music off the radio but again it's too overwhelming to figure out.

Oh yes, I meant to also ask, is Karl Haas' program strictly classical music or a variety?

Stretto

Edited By Stretto on 1129339662
Stretto

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:59 pm

Stretto wrote:Dr. Zeigler:

Do you want us to recommend only classical or any style? Also do you want us to recommend only piano music or any instrumental/vocal music? Also, it sounds like you are thinking in terms of educational purposes especially to use for teaching. Is that what you were thinking?

Oh yes, I meant to also ask, is Karl Haas' program strictly classical music or a variety?

I was thinking in terms of educational programs, or software, or books or any other multimedia tool, beyond method books and printed music. What educational adjuncts would you recommend to others? My goal in this thread was basically some information sharing. Perhaps we can turn each other on to some valuable stuff we were not aware of.

The late Dr. Haas' program was focused on classical, but sometimes included jazz and even popular music, especially where the popular music was based on classical themes. About the only area I never heard Dr. Haas cover was rap (if you consider that "music").

Classics for Kids is also very good, by the way: less educational, but more approachable for kids. :D

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1129341682
Site Admin

Postby Stretto » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:22 pm

I thought of another program today. Our satellite for the t.v. has several channels that are just music listening channels. Kind of like listening to music on the radio only it's coming from the t.v. There is no picture on the screen. There is enough music listening channels that anyone would be bound to find a category that suits one's own taste in music. There is Classical, Light Classical, Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass, Big Band and Swing, (then of course, country, rock, alternative, rap, easy listening, etc., etc.). All of these come commercial free and whatever piece of music is playing is listed at the bottom of the screen with all the credits. I should be utilizing it more, I always forget about it.

Also, as far as educational goes at least in the U.S., there are a few styles I don't hear mentioned a whole lot I think worth musically educating people on (especially kids) both because of their musical and historical value. These are Early American music, Civil War music, Cowboy music, and folk music. How many students I've had that when I've asked them if they would like to learn for example, Stephen Foster, "Camptown Races" have never heard of it or hardly any of his music. Perhaps they just haven't lived long enough to have the opportunity to learn it yet. There is one cd I have from the original soundtrack recording of "The Civil War" a Film by Ken Burns. If my memory serves me right, it was a civil war documentary that aired on PBS. Also, Michael Martin Murphy has several recordings of authentic cowboy music as well as poetry. One cd of his I have is "Cowboy Classics: Playing Favorites II, with songs like "I Ride an Old Paint", "Red River Valley", "Yellow Rose of Texas". He also recorded a lot of his own compositions and kept alive a lot of others most people haven't heard before. Also, although not native, I'm currently living in what is referred to here as "the Ozarks" (really close to Branson, MO.) If you think of Hillbilly country, that's us, although people have moved here from all over, one still hears the accent here and there. Anyway, I think the old-time Ozark fiddle music and it's history is interesting and worth learning about. A lot of this music has been passed down through generations and never written down. I have a cd also on this I can't find so if I find it, I'll get back with you on the name. I'm sure there are several cd's, etc. on the subject of Ozark fiddle music. I think it also interesting to get a little education on the styles and history of various countries' folk music around the world.
Stretto

Postby Beckywy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:15 pm

Ken Burns is great. I love his compilations.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:52 pm

In New Englnad we have classical radio and educational channels on TV where you can watch The Boston Pops, Opers and other musical shows. I try to watch for them and give inforrmation to students. Some parents follow up and some do not.
Much of my information I obtain from the internet. There is a lot of information on the history of music. I often copy off articles for students. Recently one asked about the first organs. I found a lot of information. Also, I look at Amazon for used books - from 1c to a few dollars, and order some.
I have a good book of authentic Indian music- great for Thanksgiving time. Most like the sound.
I always have something of musical interest out on my table for students to read and or take or borrow - as CDS., tapes, books and articles. As I have many siblings taking lessons, it is something for one to do while waiting. (Also put out theory sheets, puzzles, etc.)
Some students are motivated to learn more. I am always looking for more!
Joan
108-1121887355

Postby 97-1128742375 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:12 pm

that sounds great! :D
97-1128742375

Postby 114-1078657089 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:10 am

Keys to Music, ABC Classic FM:

http://abc.net.au/classic/keys/

This is the one I listen to half-asleep on Saturday mornings :)
114-1078657089

Postby 97-1128742375 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:26 pm

thanks for the idea!
i will check it out! :D
97-1128742375

Postby Beckywy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:53 pm

Here's a great website of Bach's Fugues.
Well-Tempered Clavier Analysis
Beckywy

Return to Music Talk