Favorite non-classical music - Favorite styles, pieces, performers

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Stretto » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:26 pm

List your favorites of non-classical music - favorite styles, pieces, artists, cd's whether it be just for listening to or playing on the piano. Favorites can include singers, songs, or other instrumentalists besides piano.

Edited By Stretto on 1174421693
Stretto

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:23 am

Favorite Non-Classical:

1. Anything by Art Tatum.
2. Anything by Dave Brubeck
3. Anything by Spike Jones

Bill Leland.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:04 am

As singing was my first musicial love, many of my favorites are singers. Judy Garland was #1 for many years. I enjoy all the show tunes as I saw many shows on Broadway when growing up. The music from "The Phantom" is beautiful.

I play concert music for orchestra and piano mostly to find pieces for my students. My favorites now are CD's from Dr. Leland.
108-1121887355

Postby Stretto » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:06 pm

loveapiano wrote:My favorites now are CD's from Dr. Leland.

My, what a compliment!! Dr. Leland must have good taste in music.

My favorites:
Maybe I should have made the thread what I don't like as I like quite a bit of variety but here goes:

folk tunes, hymns (although I don't like to play from a hymn book on the piano) just sing them or listen to them, praise and worship, nursery rhymes, children's songs, some bluegrass, fiddle and banjo music

There's some pop, rock, or country songs I like but it is very hit and miss.

Some areas I know next to nothing about and haven't listened to much of if at all so I can't make a judgement: rap, hip-hop, alternative, blues (I tried to listen to blues a few times but didn't get very far), jazz. I have listened to very little rock music. Does anyone have any listening recommendations of recent music in these styles?

I have listened to quite a bit of country because my spouse loves it - it's improved from what it used to be. :D

Edited By Stretto on 1174629159
Stretto

Postby Beckywy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:07 pm

I like Thelonius Monk.
"The real purpose of studying music-to unite ourselves with our special gifts in such a way that one would add strength to the other" Seymour Bernstein
Beckywy

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:38 pm

I like jazz! ...
Black and White rag- Winfried Atwell
Rhapsody in Blue - George Gershiwn

I love Phantom of the Opera A LOT ... just booked for front row tickets in Australia! 7 months to go CANT WAIT! ... the phantom of the opera there is there inside my mind ... da da da da da ... (singing) ... hehehe
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Tarnia » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:35 am

I like a variety as well, but for absolute fav:

Anything by Webber, and Broadway in general-Phantom and Les Mis are probably my 2 favourites, but I just picked up a 'greatest hits collection of Andrew Lloyd Webber" and have been having a great time :)
Tarnia

Return to Music Talk