Favorite board threads - Your vote?

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:42 am

With over 400 separate threads to choose from, it would be difficult for me to pick a favorite one. However, for fun and as an aid to others, I thought it might be valuable to talk about what are the most useful or "best" (by any definition) threads on the Board. I could list probably 20, at least, but, to start us off, let me list three:

Piano Hygiene
Keyboards and Piano Lessons
Learning Musicality

I chose these because they are all fairly recent, generated lots of responses, and were of personal interest to me. Some of these threads are in forums not accessible to guests, but that may be a good reason for people to become members! I haven't covered anything like all the threads which should be listed here, so tell us your favorites! :cool:
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Stretto » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:39 am

Topic of Note forum:
"Learning Musicality"
"Misconceptions about piano lessons"

Piano Repertoire forum:
"Favorite pieces"

Teaching tips forum:
"Rote Teaching"

Music Talk forum:
"Pursuing music?"

:)

I stuck with more recent threads, but I thought I would also mention that when I first became a member I read through a bunch of old threads and picked up a lot of great tips doing so.

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1143305448
Stretto

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:52 am

Stretto,

I took the liberty of adding direct links to your post so that people could go directly to your favorite forums. Hope you don't mind! :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby Stretto » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:15 am

Thanks. I started to but there where too many numbers and letters to type in for my taste! There's probably a simple way to copy it that I'm not aware of :O :)

Edited By Stretto on 1143306967
Stretto

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:03 pm

Stretto wrote:Thanks. I started to but there where too many numbers and letters to type in for my taste! There's probably a simple way to copy it that I'm not aware of :O :)

Yes, there is a simple way to copy. Just go to the listing of forum threads you're interested in and right click on the one whose URL you want to copy. This will bring up a menu, one of whose entries will be either "Copy link location" (Netscape) or "Copy Shortcut" (Internet Explorer). Left click on that, thereby copying the direct URL to the Windows Clipboard. Then, in your post composition, click the http:// button. The first window will ask for the URL. To paste the URL into that line, just press Ctrl-v (hold down the Ctrl key and press the v key). This will paste the URL directly into the line. Click OK, and in the next box, supply the name of the thread whose URL you have copied. The correct code will be added at the end of your composition. If you don't want it at the end, you can drag and drop the code (everything between the brackets) to wherever you want it.

Windows (and the Mac as well) has lots of neat and really useful "keyboard shortcuts". The most useful are

Ctrl-c - copies highlighted text to the Clipboard for pasting into dialogs, etc.

Ctrl-x - cuts highlighted text to the Clipboard, allowing you to move it by pasting it.

Ctrl-v - pastes text on the Clipboard to the dialog box or document

I use these all the time for copying long URL's or any text that I don't want to have to type. Because they are built into the operating system, they work just about everywhere, not just word processing documents or other applications.

Edited By Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor on 1143311757
Site Admin

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:39 am

I thought that it might be time for us to update our favorite threads with some of the newer ones. I've chosen these because they have been both frequently posted to and viewed. Guests will be able to access some, but not all, of these until they become Members by registering.

Misconceptions about piano lessons
Degrees and teaching of piano
Marketing Your Studio
Scheduling makeups
Relaxation
Anybody tried Miracle Piano in Vista?
Learning the piano yourself

Anybody got any others? :;):
Site Admin

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:20 am

I thhink it makes a difference in what you are looking for at the moment.

When a new member, I copied off many articles and put them in a notebook. I read them again as needed and give to parents and students.

Recently I have found "Technique Matters" and "Practicing, Who Makes the Decisions" very informative. Always eager to read ideas for practicing and motivation and creativity.

(Of course, I have also enjoyed the Rote articles) :laugh:
108-1121887355

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:39 pm

loveapiano wrote:Recently I have found "Technique Matters" and "Practicing, Who Makes the Decisions" very informative. Always eager to read ideas for practicing and motivation and creativity.

These are all articles on the main part of the site. Glad you found them useful. Any favorite board threads?
Site Admin

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:18 am

Sorry, there is so much information - I confused their 'homes'

I usually look at the Learning Piano, Piano Teaching Tips, Piano Repertoire and Piano Methods first, but I also go by the latest topic that catches my eye. I cannot remeber all the ones I have found interesting and learned from. (I am old, remember!) :laugh:
108-1121887355

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 am

For those who may not have seen it, another thread in Topic of Note lists the most posted to threads on the Forums. It is called Top Board Threads and has about 40 linked threads listed. These may not be everyone's favorites, but they are the ones the Members found worth replying to the most.
Site Admin

Return to Music Talk