Memorial recital, dr. william leland, pianist - In memory of melba halamicek

All topics musical, not specifically piano-related

Postby 108-1121887355 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:18 am

On January 21st. Dr. William Leland is performing a Memorial Recital in memory of his late wife, Melba Halamicek, on the anniversary of her death a year ago.

It will be held in the Music Center Recital Hall, University of New Mexico, Las Cruces, NM.

His daughter, Caroline Leland Ruiz will be guest performer on the viola, playing Hindemith's Trauermusik, written for grieving.

The piano selections by Dr. Leland are all connected with Melba's life in some way. They include Mozart's A Minor Sonata, Chopin's Scherzo No 4 in E Major and some of her favorite works by Debussy and Brahms.

This program is a culmination of hard work by Dr. Leland as he grieves his great loss.

My best goes out to him on this special day.

Joan
108-1121887355

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks, loveapiano for reminding us of this recital, to be held on the anniversary of Melba's untimely death. I'm sure it will be well-attended, although New Mexico, particularly southern New Mexico and Las Cruces, is expecting a big snowstorm, starting today. Best of luck to Dr. Leland for the recital. :)
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:47 pm

Thank you, Joan, John, and everybody for your support and good thoughts. There are friends and former students of Melba's and mine coming all the way from Atlanta, Illinois, New Hampshire, Albuquerque, and Phoenix, as well as the Las Cruces/El Paso area. The Memorial Plaque, to be installed in the Functional Piano Lab, where Melba taught from 1981 until last January, will be dedicated during the recital.

Bill.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby Glissando88keys » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:19 am

Since many of us would like to, but are unable to be there for this special event, we shall be there in heart, mind and spirit, if not physically.
Glissando88keys

Postby 108-1121887355 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:46 pm

Beautifully said - I am with you.
108-1121887355

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:52 am

Now we are all waiting, Dr. Bill, for a follow up from your concert.
108-1121887355

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:22 pm

Well, I'll tell you frankly that I was much more emotional while playing than I expected to be, and made a few goofs, but it didn't matter a bit because the audience was tremendously warm and responsive. Many people said, and wrote, some lovely things afterwards and since. There was a good-size crowd, and I had former students who came all the way to New Mexico from New Hampshire, Nashville, and Atlanta. So many people joined us in a tribute to Melba, and it was a heart-warming time for me.

The CD came out well (and I left every flaw intact!), so if anyone is interested, please contact me personally at [email]wleland@zianet.com.[/email]

Many thanks, folks, for your interest and support--it means a lot.

Bill.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:40 pm

The CD is really a joy to hear. I play mine often. It is special because of the motivation behind the concert. Also because listening to someone you 'know' ( through this site,) who happens to be an exceptional pianist, is an added joy.

Thank you for offering this to all of us, Dr. Leland.

:D
108-1121887355

Return to Music Talk