Dear violinist - Please help with my violin

Play more than piano? Interested in a different instrument, including voice? Talk about it here.

Postby Mins Music » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:44 pm

Nope, no advice at all yet. I've been doing some pretty full on experimenting with that though, but figured it was best to wait for these books.
Oh! And last night I went to a piano recital, and in the foyer was a local trio (two violins and guitar). I asked one of the players if she taught and yes! So I now have her card and might give her a ring. My only concern is that she looked scared when I told her I was a piano/blahblahblah teacher. Perhaps I should keep this information to myself when seeking another teacher. Anyway, getting advice from another player has got to be better than fumbling through myself (oh dear ... even as I wrote those words, I didn't believe them. I've had some pretty shonky teachers over the years! Now I have an almost 'teacher phobia'. Pretty ridiculous seeing I'm one too.)
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:07 pm

Very sad week for me. I pinched nerve in my neck and have had it (the neck, not the nerve) in a brace all week. No playing of violin for me. No doing hardly anything! I even had to cancel my lessons one day.
It's off now. Hope to get back into making squarks!

Violinist, what was the easiest piece you learnt when you began, and did you learn it by ear, or by note?
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 73-1078374881 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:37 pm

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear about your pinched nerve! Ouch! I bet that hurts! :( Good luck on your possible teacher! Yes, I highly recommend you get lessons of some sort because it's so easy to do EVERYTHING wrong...

I don't remember a whole lot about my first lessons (I was 8), but I do know "Twinkle Twinkle" was among the first. I was probably supposed to learn by note, but I probably did it by ear! :;): I think for the first six months, all I did was good ol' Suzuki. What have you been playing so far, Mins?
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:56 pm

I have a violin teacher! My lesson is in about 10 days at 9:20 in the morning!

I was serenading my husband one night with a big grin on my face, and when I was finished he said :"Get a teacher" :(

So, off to lessons I go. Let you know how it goes. :)

Edited By Mins Music on 1082851197
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:33 pm

YAY happy to hear that you're getting a teacher!. Maybe your husband only told you to get a teacher because he recognised your enormous potential! :D
81-1074658942

Postby 65-1081382753 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:39 pm

Good luck!

I started violin about 5 months ago...very fun! :laugh: Do you know what method your teacher uses?
65-1081382753

Postby Mins Music » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:45 pm

Not yet, she said to bring along all four books I own:

Herfurth's A Tune A Day
The Little Sevcik
Eta Cohen's Violin Method
Suzuki Violin School

Which method are you using Athaira?
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:47 pm

Quidam wrote:Maybe your husband only told you to get a teacher because he recognised your enormous potential! :D

Yes, that would be it :;):
Mins Music

Postby 65-1081382753 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:49 pm

I am using Suzuki book one. My teacher is a really, really talented violinist who has been playing since she was seven (we are the same age, 14). It has been interesting learning how to play a song totally from memory, something I had never done before.

She also has me use other books, a hymal and beginning violin music, to get me used to associating notes with fingering as well as making up my own variations on pieces and rthyms I already know.
65-1081382753

Postby Mins Music » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:33 pm

Athaira, do you have a preference for violin or piano?
Mins Music

Postby 65-1081382753 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:37 pm

Do you mean which I like better?

If so, its a tie :p I can play alot more pieces that I really like on the piano, but I love the sound of a violin and the direct relationship of my actions to its sound.

You mentioned performing for your husband...what do you know how to do? Is you violin neck taped yet?
65-1081382753

Postby Mins Music » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:13 pm

Athaira wrote:Is you violin neck taped yet?

No. Why does a violin neck need taping?

Sadly, I don't KNOW how to play anything on the violin - yet! I was playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and a few of the beginning exercises in one of the books I have. Since I've decided to go to a teacher, I haven't even touched the violin! I'll wait to see what the teacher says I should do. :)

I know what you mean about the 'feel'. This was the main reason why I decided to take this instrument a little more seriously. I LOVE the feel of the instrument. :cool:
Mins Music

Postby 73-1078374881 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:11 pm

Taping, Mins, is what the vast majority of beginning students do to help them find the notes with their fingers at first. You take four little strips of tape and put them where first, second, third, and fourth fingers would go. This is a huge help for BEGINNER beginner musicians, who can't tell if a note is in tune or even in what vicinity of the fingerboard it should be! But it's also a good thing to do if you've already had a background in music, for intonation purposes... I'm so happy you have a teacher now!!!! Let us know how your first lesson goes!
73-1078374881

Postby 65-1081382753 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:08 pm

Then, once your fingers know where to go and are consistisantly in tune, the tapes get taken off. They are quite helpful, and alot less stressful than doing with out.
65-1081382753

Postby Mins Music » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:13 pm

It'll be interesting to see if my teacher recommends this to me. Thanks girls for the tip! :cool:
Mins Music

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-instrument