Concerts - Talk about concerts you'been to

Play more than piano? Interested in a different instrument, including voice? Talk about it here.

Postby Mins Music » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:18 pm

Wow. I have to tell you guys. Went to a concert last night. The Cologne New Philharmonic chamber orchestra. They played Vivaldi, Bach, Purcell, Mozart, Albinoni, Pachelbel, Tchaikovsky. Three encores.
When you're faced with such brilliance - the composers, the artists; that's when you remember what a magnaminous gift it is to be alive with capabilities of appreciation and joy.
I got all welled up when I saw the expressions on individiual's faces in the audience as numbers of us stood in acknowledgement of the precious heritage left us and the appreciation of artists presenting it.

Ahhh. Yes. I'm a big sook. There is much to be grateful for in this life. And what a blessing we have as musicians for such opportunity.

Kids, students, teachers; don't take this for granted. :)
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:39 pm

I haven't been to the symphony in a while, but I just got some new CDs, and I'm thrilled to bits, and all inspired. I got the Shostakovich piano preludes and fugues,and Eine Duetsches Requiem by Brahms.

It's just wonderful! When you hear a really really good performance, it's just like magic. You almost forget that there even is a performer. It's just this amazing music that seems like it's been hanging in the air forever, but is just being amplified.

Listening to the Shostakovich preludes and fugues has really helped me with my Bach fugues, and listening to such a wonderful choral work [and singing my lungs out!] has helped me with my phrasing when I play Chopin. It's all connected. I just hope hope HOPE that one day my playing will just sound like magic! :)
81-1074658942

Postby 73-1078374881 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:02 am

Sadly, since I live in the middle of nowhere, concerts are few and far in between for me. BUT I remember one really spectacular concert I went to in Walla Walla- it was a world premiere of a symphony (I can't remember who wrote it- he had "Ernest" somewhere in the name, lol) with a full orchestra, organ, 100-voice choir, and a soprano soloist. The text was based on a couple Walt Whitman poems. Talk about power!!!! It was one of those concerts where I really really wished I'd smuggled in a tape recorder! :p But if a recording of that ever gets out, I'll be first in line to get it!!! I'll find the name of it sometime soon. I'd like to hear from others- what's the most memorable concert you've ever been to?
73-1078374881

Postby 73-1078374881 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:38 pm

It was called Second Symphony ("Hastening Light") by John David Ernest...
73-1078374881

Postby 73-1078374881 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:10 am

My family owns a restaurants, and every so often we host concerts there. The other night, we had a harpist who is like a Vicor Borge on the harp! He was a first-rate harpist and sooooo funny! He played "On Top of Old Smokey" because a lady had requested it, and then he added his own words:

"On top of Old Smokey,
All covered with hair-
Of course I'm referring
To Smokey the Bear."

He also declared that there were going to be cats in heaven. Where else would the harpists get their strings? :O
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:04 pm

IPlayTheViolinSoThere wrote:He also declared that there were going to be cats in heaven. Where else would the harpists get their strings? :O

oow!
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:07 am

Has anyone heard of Harold Brown? He's a pianist from florida, USA. We're going on a studio excursion to see him this Friday night.
Tell you how it goes!
Mins Music

Postby 73-1078374881 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:57 am

Never heard of him, but of course, I'm so out of the loop, if you asked me who Dr. John Zeigler was, I'd be like, "Who?" (well maybe I'm not THAT bad :O) Let us know how the concert goes!
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:14 pm

Well Harold Brown was MOST impressive! It was a French programme night - Faure, Ravel, Chopin and for encore, Rachmaninoff, then Debussy. As you can imagine with Faure and Ravel, it was a very 'full on' night for my students - most of which was their first time at a professional concert. At intermission the biggest topic was 'how can his hands go so fast' and 'how can he remember all those NOTES'. It was a wonderful learning experience for one of my advancing students who plays extrememly well, but is a little too reserved in body movement. She now gets the point of flowing, using your enitre upper body, not just those ten digits, and how to bring a piece to life by FEELING the music.
(It's one thing for their teacher to tell them and demonstrate, it's a whole new kettle of fish to see a professional from another country demonstrating for them!)

As for me, I'm constantly astounded by composers. It's one thing to be able to play such music, but how humbling to think of the people who first of all thought of this music and then proceeded to write it all down! (They didn't have finalenotepad back then either.) And what an astounding instrument the piano really is. Passion, humour, tenderness - all from the touch of a hammer on strings. Two hours of piano, and I never tire from the sound - it is just so versatile.
As full as a symphony orchestra, or as solitary as an oboe.
I think the piano is trully one of my favourite things in life.

Anyway, needless to say, my kids now see the importance of practising their scales and arpeggios!

The next performance we'll be going to is a piano and violin duo.
Mins Music

Postby Mins Music » Sun May 30, 2004 7:19 pm

My students all said they enjoyed the violin and piano concert!

There was some Beethoven, Debussy, Piazzola, and Sohoto.

Great mix.

I'm going to a string quartet next.

Anyone else been to a concert they've enjoyed?

Edited By Mins Music on 1085966408
Mins Music

Postby 114-1078657089 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:07 am

Was everybody else listening to the Sydney International Piano Competition? Did anyone get to attend the recitals? The mind boggles at the amount of work covered - solos, chamber music, concertos, and new work by Australian composers. And the winner is only 18 years old :O

I also did see Graeme Murphy's Swan Lake a while back, and enjoyed it a lot.
114-1078657089

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 pm

I went to a Missy Higgins concert not long ago. She is a pop/ indie rock Australian musicain that sings, composes plays keyboard, piano and guitar.
She I liked her use of media she had a string trio that played with her and a trumpet also drums. Along with that she brought out her vocals in a different way. Instead of her own pop songs she sang to a few jazz songs bring out they soothing mellowness in her voice. Very plesant to listen to!

The week before that concert there was a school concert. A young virtuoso I knew in my school played piano. He showed off his virtuosity by playing Liszt's hungarian rhapsody. Such awe swept through the audience as they watched his fingers fly across the keys and blur as he played fast moving passages.

The last concert I saw was at a conservatorium the dean or head of Jazz in the university played a few pieces Jazzed up. He had such flair. I was mezmerised by his stylistic interpretations. It did make me think a lot ... that virtuosity was not everything. Nor was memory everything. He had his sheets infront of him and he didnt play anything at break neck speed but he did play with flair and style and emotion. He put himself into it. He communicated this to his audience so well! He just blew me away!

Next week I am going to see Sydney Symphony play. I am very excited. I love symphonic music!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Multi-instrument