Other instruments - What else do you play?

Play more than piano? Interested in a different instrument, including voice? Talk about it here.

Postby 73-1078374881 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:12 am

Wow!!! I just noticed this topic down here!! Am I the only person on the baord who plays another instrument besides piano? Oh wait- there's Mins Music! Yay!!!! From reading my Message board name, take a wild guess at what I play. :laugh: Violin such a fun instrument, but so hard to master!!! Is there anyone else who plays piano plus another instrument?
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:06 pm

see my other post .... er, would you like to be called, 'violinist' or 'so there'? I play the violin so there, is very long to type :p
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 81-1074658942 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:39 pm

I LOVE to sing. That's kind of like playing another instrument. Because I do have to work at perfecting everything. A lot of times my vocals chords just laugh at me and I get annoyed, but in the end it all works out lol.
81-1074658942

Postby Mins Music » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:00 am

Quidam wrote:I LOVE to sing. That's kind of like playing another instrument.

Yes. Voice is a legitimate instrument. So if you sing AND play the piano you're a musician of two instruments! :;):
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Ursie » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:04 pm

I'm learning to play the flute which I'm thoroughly enjoying - if only there were more hours in the day though! It came as a bit of a shocker about the importance of breathing to my playing. I had taken breathing pretty much for granted until now. Anyone else play the flute?
Ursie

Postby 73-1078374881 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:28 pm

I play the flute!!! And LOVE it!!!!!! Are you self-taught, Ursie? I am, and one book that really helped me was "Flute" (or "The Flute") by James Galway. Yeah, breathing is so hard!!! Especially when you're playing in public! How long have you been playing?
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:00 am

I play the flute and the clarinet, and recorders, though they don't require as much breath control. I also teach singing. Breathing is a HUGE part of all of these instruments. Do you both do any exercises to build your diaphram? I'm always after new ideas to add to my collection.

Violinst, do you teach the violin as well? I might start a new thread so you can help me with the one I just bought. I had one when I was much younger and use to fool around with melodies 'by ear' but I can't even get a sound out of this one! It is a VERY cheap violin. Perhaps I don't have the bow tight enough? Does it need a lot/little resin on the bow?
Please help. I'm miserable .... :(

Hey Ursie, do you play anything else? Do you like to sing?
Mins Music

Postby 73-1078374881 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:31 am

Heya, Mins! No, I don't know any exercises for the diaphragm :( , so I'm open to any ideas. I sing a lot, and I don't know if this is a bona fide exercise, but I've always challenged myself to go just one second more without breathing... nowadays, I have pretty good breath control, but I'm now stuck with the nickname "Maria the Purple-faced". J/K :laugh:

Yes, I do teach the violin- I've only had three violin students because everyone wants to do piano instead (little do they know how much they're missing!!), but I LOOOOOVE teaching it!!! So, about the sound of your violin. My guess is that is needs rosin. Is it a new violin? New bow? Was it rehaired recently? Most bow hair is sold with rosin already on it, but sometimes it doesn't. And rosin is what gives the bow friction on the string for sound! So I'd try rosining the bow up and seeing if that works. If not, I'll be thinking about what else could be wrong. :cool:

Edited By IPlayTheViolinSoThere on 1079706756
73-1078374881

Postby Mins Music » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:13 pm

Thanks violinist! Yep, it's BRAND new. Never been played. Just out of it's case (which is better quality than the actual violin :( )
Goody, thanks of the advice, I'll go try that now, and see what happens!
Mins Music

Postby Ursie » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:41 am

IPlayTheViolinSoThere wrote:I play the flute!!! And LOVE it!!!!!! Are you self-taught, Ursie? I am, and one book that really helped me was "Flute" (or "The Flute") by James Galway. Yeah, breathing is so hard!!! Especially when you're playing in public! How long have you been playing?

Nop, not self-taught I've got a teacher and we use the Trevor Wye books. I've only been playing since October so I'm just a novice. I do breathing exercises and always start my practice with long notes (I've started using a clock with a second hand so I can see how long I can blow a note for!) Funnily enough I found that I could take a breath and tongue a note for maybe 20/25 seconds but I can't do it for anywhere near that long for a slurred note. I think that must be where the control of your breathing must come in....

My teacher has said a few times that if I sang it would be easier. I know I should try and join a local choir but I just don't have the time (I have a hubbie and 3 boys).
Ursie

Postby 110-1079111554 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:16 pm

By virtue of my online name nic88fiddle, you may have guessed I too play the violin - albeit somewhat badly. I am very much a first position fiddler. I reached grade 5 then left my teacher during grade 6 studies to play folk/irish music. I may never return to classical violin - classical piano is enough for me. I also play piano accordian - 48 & 120 bass. I use this in my band as well as playing electronic keyboards.
110-1079111554

Postby Mins Music » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:05 pm

Hey Ursie! Sing in the shower. Sing when you're folding clothes. SIng when you're peeling spuds. Joining a choir would be wonderful, but not necessary. Do the same thing as you do wit the flute. Choose one pitch and hold it for as long as you can (without straining your neck muscles) However, it is good to fee it in the diaphram. Like any muscle, the diaphram can be strengthened. A strong diaphram allows you to take in more breath, control the expiration better, and affects the tone. The voice is a wind instrument, so singing helps play those instruments as does playing those instruments help singing!
Mins Music

Postby Ursie » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:02 pm

When I sat the grade 8 piano exam I got a distinction for my pieces and scales but really bombed out on aural and sight reading - I just hadn't had enough practice :( - so that dragged my mark down. I have since started playing the flute and I am convinced that my aural has improved because I feel am getting better at reproducing the pitches I hear inside - out loud (does that make sense to you?). I'll give singing more in and around the house a go as well. Because I've started memorising pieces from the outset this has also got me singing all the different parts etc. I really encourage singing with my students. Some have been really shy though and it has to be approached in a 'little by little' way otherwise you would just scare them off completely. Actually, I think I'll go and put this in the 'do' section....
Ursie

Postby Ursie » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:55 pm

IPlayTheViolinSoThere - you're one second more breathing challenge? My hubbie learned to play the trombone when he was younger and he can hold his breath and then breath out for what seems like forever! Apparently in their group lesson they would all lie on the floor, take in a deep breath - right down into their diaphram - hold it for 5 seconds and then release it very slowly. Once all the air was gone they would then not breath back in again for another 5 seconds. I don't think I'll ever be able to beat him at breathing games but I'll certainly keep trying!
Ursie

Postby 69-1080625173 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:31 am

I play the guitar as well as piano and I'd have to say that it is one of the easiest instruments to learn. There's more guitar resources on the net than all other instruments combined so therefore is a good one to teach yourself.
69-1080625173

Next

Return to Multi-instrument