Intruments one would like to learn - Which one's you wish you could learn

Play more than piano? Interested in a different instrument, including voice? Talk about it here.

Postby Stretto » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:24 pm

:) Which instruments have you always wanted to learn and just never have for one reason or another? If you could learn any instrument other than piano, what would it be? Do you think you ever will learn the instrument(s) you would like to some day or do you think it will simply remain a wish? :cool:

I'll start by saying I have always wanted to take voice lessons and learn how to play the banjo. A neighbor and friend of the family growing up made banjos. I just also mainly have always liked the sound. What has kept me from learning those is the that I haven't wanted to spend the money on lessons. Maybe I will eventually.
Stretto

Postby 108-1121887355 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:06 pm

Singing was actually my first love. I took voice lessons at 16 and continued through music school and sang in some concerts. Also sang in local musicals, even after my children were born. I began piano at 5 and payed in many recitals.I guess if I were to chose another instrument now. it would be in the string family.
My granddaughter payed the vioilin for 2 years and is eager to learn the string bass! (Don't know why, but has been consistantly asking) She is 10 years old. My oldest daughter played the drums and my second daughter (Mother of 10 yo.), played the saxaphone. Both played in the school band, the sax player, all through high school and the marching band. My son tried the sax for a few months and stopped. All three played the piano and all four grandchildren play the piano (from my 5 yo to my 24 yo!) :D
108-1121887355

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:00 am

Besides piano I have always loved singing in particular opera and broadway musicals. I loved this communitcation of music and the bel canto quality of opera singer astounds me. The problem is there arent many opera singing teacehrs in my area most teach contemporary. :(
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby 112-1182392787 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:06 pm

Becibu, Would it be possible to find a good choir? Some choirs do voice exercises and other training as warm-ups - but make sure it's by somebody who knows what he is doing (a trained singer himself) My last choir did Mozart's Requiem. The conductor/choirmaster was a trained singer with a degree in music who also gave us exercises to do, and one of the soloists was an opera singer who even toured Carnegie Hall, gave warm-up exercises, was available for technical advice. I also learned tons of things about interpretation and phrasing. I had to audition for this particular choir: basic note reading, copying a scale played on the piano, singing at various dynamics.
112-1182392787

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:35 am

Great idea of joining a choir. Actually a few years ago I made it into a final audition of the Australian Youth Choir. I had no transport to get to the place but I know a person that got through it turned out that to be a member it is VERY exspensive not much is taught in terms of technique and warm up ... but the uniform is $300 membership/ year is $50 ... touring cost upwards of $4000 (thats touring within the country for a week end) ... to go to Italty for a week it costed $20 000.

Edited By Becibu on 1199273710
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Multi-instrument