Finale.notepad

Talk to others about making and writing music on a computer

Postby Mins Music » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:24 pm

I use this free software a lot in my teaching. I recommend it to my students. One of them would like to know if you can save an individual song and burn it onto a CD. She has tried this and ends up burning the whole program along with her song.
Any one know how to do this? If so, could you give me step by step instructions please - (When it comes to computer wizardry I'm about a 3 on a scale of 10 :D )
Thanks heaps!
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby 69-1080625173 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:48 pm

What file extension does it save as? Also what burning program do you use?
69-1080625173

Postby Mins Music » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:19 am

Hey! Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately, my post is no longer relevent for that student. She handed in her assignment program and all!

I don't know what burner program she would have used. I use Nero.

If you have any advice about this, it would be great to know - just in case another student wants to do the same thing!
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:46 am

Dear Mins,

The previous poster was right about needing the file extension, although my guess is that it is .MID. To avoid this problem in the future, which probably arose because your student burned the whole directory containing the program you're using to create the song. Just create a subdirectory under it called "songs" or, if you want individual students to have their own such directories, create individual directories called something like "jdoesong". Now when they burn the wole directory, they'll just get their songs, not the program, too.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Mins Music » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:05 pm

Thank you thank you thank you!

Will try it next chance I get and let you know how it went.
Mins Music

Postby Piano Wannabe » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:06 pm

I have used the Finale Notepad program a few times and may have some useful information regarding it.

The Finale Notepad program is free. It can be downloaded from the finalemusic.com site. The free version lets you create a score by selecting a type of note and clicking on the staff where you want to place it. It turns out nice looking copy. However, the file it saves is only the score and it can only be read and printed on a computer that has the Finale Notepad program.

However, for $24.95, you can buy Finale Notepad Plus. This version of the program lets you save your score to a MIDI file! Both versions(Free and Plus) let you play your score as you write it, helping you get the timing just right.

The MIDI file (file extension of .mid) can be played on any computer. These files are small and will actually fit on a diskette, which is cheaper and easier to write to than a CD and needs no burner software.

I have to include a note of caution to music teachers thinking of recommending the use of this program. The caution is that it can take a lot of time to get the score "just right" The program has some hang-ups and hiccups that can take time to get around. I used it to clean up some handwritten scores that were in poor condition after sloppy reproduction.

I found that you could easily spend a couple of hours on one score. My opinion is that "I'd rather be playing". Computers, (highly touted as labor saving devices) can really absorb many hours if you aren't careful.
I should really be playing.
Piano Wannabe

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:03 pm

I have several question in regards to finale.
... the other day I tried to proccess a piece... it began with a minim (half note) in the first measure/bar (it was in 3/4 time). The end note was a crotchet (quarter note) ... hence it has an anacrusis ... finale doesnt allow me to do do this...

Also when I want a key change ... (ie. the key is in D major then I want a key change in G). What happens is that the whole peice is transposed...

Well if anyone can help me I appreciate that!
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Stretto » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Becibu wrote:I have several question in regards to finale.
... the other day I tried to proccess a piece... it began with a minim (half note) in the first measure/bar (it was in 3/4 time). The end note was a crotchet (quarter note) ... hence it has an anacrusis ... finale doesnt allow me to do do this...

Also when I want a key change ... (ie. the key is in D major then I want a key change in G). What happens is that the whole peice is transposed...

Well if anyone can help me I appreciate that!

I don't know if I can help you but what version of Finale do you have? It would probably depend on if you have the free Finale Notepad version - then it would be less likely you could do those things you asked about vs. if you had one of Finale's upgrades from the free version - I don't know for sure if the upgraded versions have these capabilities but the free version would be more limiting.

Edited By Stretto on 1192044667
Stretto

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:35 pm

I have the free version
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Stretto » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:00 pm

I would make a pretty safe bet the free version of Finale does not have the capability to do those things you mentioned you are trying to do.
Stretto

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:34 pm

thanks for telling me stretto... I might venture out to get the real version ... :)
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Music and Computers