About music and computers forum - What to post

Talk to others about making and writing music on a computer

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:49 am

Some possible topics for this forum include MIDI, music composition, notation and software for it, home computing and music, and many other related topics of interest to individuals. Questions about Miracle Piano or other packages for learning piano should be posted in their own forums.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby 77-1076694718 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:42 pm

I thought I would start this board out by saying hello to everybody and I must admit that I do record music on the computer using Cakewalk...it is great application, however there is a learning curve that must be overcome...

I have a some other equipment such as a special sound card and I use a mixer as well...I have recorded using MIDI, but for now I am just using the output from my Yamaha p-90 into my mixer and then right into my sound card...

The technolgy is great but still is a little challanging to use...
77-1076694718

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:52 am

Hi MelodyMan,

Which version of Cakewalk are you using? The full-up version or one of the simplified ones. I've said on the site that the learning curve for Cakewalk is somewhat steep at first, but I haven't seen the abridged versions.

Also, do you have any experience with any composition or notation software? Do you compose? I'd like to get a sense of how knowledgeable people use their computers to make music and how they went about learning. This can be very helpful for those comntemplating doing what you're doing.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Site Admin

Postby 77-1076694718 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:05 pm

Dr. Zeigler, I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 version...I am sure you are aware this is a semi-professional older version of thier software...Today, the Cakewalk Producer version is available for a few hundred dollars...I will tell you I do have a little background in recording and this was very easy for me to set this software up and begin recording the first night...

I have some experience with the other less expensive versions of recording software and can honestly say that there has been a great deal of progress in making these tools user-friendly and would recommend recording this way to anyone who is computer literate.

I used to record on tape using a tape recorder, however after using my computer recording software, a small mixer board, and a couple of other accessories, I will never go back to tape...the quality is incredible and ease of recording is amazing!

Well the version of Cakewalk does have music notation available, however I have not set it up yet , but I will in the future and can give some feedback here in the forum on it from a novice point of view.

You do have a couple of choices with the software when you want musical notation.

You can either write the music in the computer using a piano that is part of the software application, you can write just like you would write in Microsoft Word, but instead of a blank page you have a page of with blank musical notation paper and with the mouse you click on where you want the notes, or I can hook up my piano and play the music using MIDI and it writes the sheet music as I play...with MIDI the music is written in musical notation when I finish playing the song...I put a label on it and print it out. Just think how much more music we would have today from the great composers if they had these tools

Now I don't want to make this sound to simple you do have to set up a few things...once again it is amazing...I have a friend who is writing a book of compositions and I will ask him what software application he is using...I also have a friend who writes orchestra scores and he uses a MAC and "Digital Performer".

So it really comes down to what you want to do...more complexity and contol you are going to have learning curve issues...

Yes I do compose...simple works-piano, strings, vocals(choir like) new age\pop sound, I have played piano for well over 20 years, I just started formally learning how to play the piano a year and half ago...I had taken a piano class in college and was in the school orchestra and a few choirs when I was younger, I just never took the time to really understand music, but I am now...I hope you understand what I am trying to explain...but I have a true love of music in my heart...

I hope this helps and I will check back on this thread from time to time...
77-1076694718

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:53 pm

Thanks MelodyMan,

Your answer is very helpful and exactly the kind of thing that I think I will help others in this forum. Please do visit often!
Site Admin

Return to Music and Computers