Microsoft multi-media cd-roms - Is updating possible for xp?

Talk to others about making and writing music on a computer

Postby 77-1149355917 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:07 pm

I have several of the old Microsoft multi-media CD-roms, such as MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS and several in the composer series. They will not work with XP. Is there any way to update these or get drivers that will allow them to run on Windows XP?
They are terrific.
77-1149355917

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:30 pm

I don't know specifically which ones of these you have, but I've had good luck running some of these (Multimedia Mozart and Musical Instruments) in XP under XP's compatibility mode. The simplest way of getting to the Compatibility Mode in XP is to either use the Compatibility Wizard or to open the directory of the executable file in Explorer, right-click, choose Properties, then click on the Compatibility tab. Choose the first drop down menu and pick the last operating system there under which you're aware the program ran properly. If you don't know, try the Windows 95 mode, since most of these programs you refer to are pretty old. This approach works for about 80% of old software, even under Vista, where virtually no legacy software runs "out-of-the-box." You might also want to look at my Music and the Home Computer article, Old Software on New Computers for more information on this topic, generally.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Music and Computers