Alfred editions - To play or not to play?

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby classicafila » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:08 am

Hello,

I have several music books from Alfred Publishing and I would like to know are their classical music books Urtext? If not, should I replace them with Urtext editions like G. Henle, and Edition Peters? I have the Bach Two-Part Inventions, Mozart Viennese Sonatinas, and the Chopin Preludes from Alfred.
Thank you for your time.
classicafila

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:01 am

These Alfred editions by Willard Palmer are excellent, Bach in particular, which has a list of the proper execution of ornaments and notes about style and tempos. Palmer has done a really swell job on a whole series, including Bach, Bartok, Beethoven, Burgmueller, Chopin, Clementi, and Schumann. Henry Levine's Alfred edition of Brahms is also very good.

I would be a little suspicious of the word "urtext", which does not always mean the pure, unedited version of the composer. Often the interpretation of a composer's manuscript is open to question, or the manuscript might be lost and only a copy, or perhaps an early edition, were available. And many composers were known to leave behind slightly different versions of the same piece.

W. L.

Edited By Dr. Bill Leland on 1187456757
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Return to Learning Piano