Finger swapping - On same note

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:57 am

You know when you have the same note being played. And the fingering says to do it on a fresh finger. (like in Fur Elise .. A A A A ... Fingering is 1 2 3 1 2 3).
Its been a few weeks into this piece. Where what is required is that fresh finger swap on the same note. This is no problem to me but because of phrasing I staccato the notes and that is really tricky to me...
I have tried practicing really slowly hands seperatly which works but its when I bring the speed up it doesnt seem to work. Any pointers?
My teacher is after that speeding up as I am playing TOO slow ... hhehehe...
I'd appreciate anytips
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:36 am

Ok first your finger has to have a sort of hammer motion when hitting the notes, lift your fingers high up without raising your hand and retract your finger quickly with a smooth motion and repeat
Jim

Postby 112-1182392787 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:55 pm

have tried practicing really slowly hands seperatly which works but its when I bring the speed up it doesnt seem to work. Any pointers?

Is the problem still with hands separate at that point - i.e. bringing the staccato left hand up to speed without worrying about the right yet? In addition to the foregoing, could the springiness of the keys help you? I mean, they sort of sproing your fingers up and that helps you have less tension in your fingers as they ride the key action when you are playing faster. In staccato you're bouncing off a hot potato and you don't want to linger. Ignore if it seems silly.
112-1182392787

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:55 am

[/quote]Is the problem still with hands separate at that point - i.e. bringing the staccato left hand up to speed without worrying about the right yet? In addition to the foregoing, could the springiness of the keys help you? I mean, they sort of sproing your fingers up and that helps you have less tension in your fingers as they ride the key action when you are playing faster. In staccato you're bouncing off a hot potato and you don't want to linger. Ignore if it seems silly.[quote]

I can staccato quite easily... yes that hot potato sounds familiar :). My teacher actually says silly things like that ... such a goof :).

Ok what I am saying is that when there is the finger change on repeated notes and when I have to play fast and staccato that is when it is mind boggling. I don't really think there is a problem or concern in key action really ... I can staccato most things ok ... its doing other tasks at the same time that play tricks on my mind.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby 112-1182392787 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:01 pm

and when I have to play fast and staccato that is when it is mind boggling.

This may sound simplistic, but it's not. If it's mind boggling, what if you left your mind at home? Make it an automatic, brainless activity. Do it on tabletops, anywhere, at random - it's a trick somebody gave me.

I'm curious what the official tempo is suposed to be. My copy simply says "poco moto". I found a version by a professional pianist on Yutube and he played that part slower than me, and with phrasing and ..... oh my .... I'll be learning it all over again!

I played Fuer Elise when I was young and self taught: quite "rubato". Relearned it when I just knew how to use a metronome. Now you've gotten me to start all over again and consider things like phrasing. I can see all the weak points and mistakes. Thanks a lot! ??? :D

Edited By pianissimo on 1190916149
112-1182392787

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:58 pm

hehehe ... I am not doing fur elise that was just an example ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby 112-1182392787 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:21 pm

Well, it looks like now I am! :p
112-1182392787

Return to Learning Piano