Chopin - Nocturnes

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby classicafila » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Hello,

I would like to know how can I build up to playing the chopin nocturnes? I can play some of the them but not many. Thank you for your time.
classicafila

Postby pianogal » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:45 pm

nocturnes are my strongest pieces! I would love to share how I play them.

First of all, what's bothering you? the skills or the emotions?

Most of them are slow pieces, skills may not be a problem, but the emotions---you just have to feel it (you can't copy other pianists either)

So what I did was listening to other pianists play carefully (try not to fall asleep :laugh: ) pay attention to every single dynamic. Later on, when you play, you'll get the same kind of feeling for the nocturnes!!!

*here's something funny, most people can do homework or other things while listening to music. I can't, music dominates everything!
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:27 am

As far as listening to other pianists ... I'm not so sure if that is really a good idea. A conductor once said "you the intimacy between you and the composer through listening to someone else' interpertation" he then concluded with "less listening more reading and walking".
I wouldnt say I do go to extremes if anything sometimes I listen and analyse how a piece is sung or played by many various pianists and singers to understand what effects they add and what stylistic interpretations they have.
I don't have any of Chopin's noctures in my repertoire so I am not going to comment but in principal I like to know the background of the composer, the time period of when he wrote it and what was going on in his life. Also the understanding of form and period - nocturnes falling under the romantic period being invented by John Field.
Well I hope that helps.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Learning Piano