The notebook theme song

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby Alec » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi,
I would like to learn to play this song for a special event but I wanted to get your feedback on how difficult of a song it was?
I have very limited piano experience - I took 2 courses in high school .. that's it! The most difficult peice i ever played all those years ago was Scarborough Fair.

Any feedback on how difficult this is, how long it would take me to learn or if I should give up already .. please let me know.

Here is a video of it being played on piano on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhcW4bcf-AI&NR=1
Rookie Pianist
Alec

Postby Alec » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:00 am

Anyone? :(
Rookie Pianist
Alec

Postby Tranquillo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:04 am

As for what level you are it would be hard to tell. I am not a teacher but from seeing others play things myself ... some can play Chopin by memory ... but they learnt the piece by rote, others I know cant read that well ... but have good aural skills.
If you would like to learn that piece and have not had that much experience and education in piano I think it is possible if you perhaps had that piece simplified or if you learn it by rote (that is memory, knowing which keys hit which note). Do you have a copy of the music?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Alec » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks. I do not have a copy of the music but was prepared to buy it if it would be easier to learn it that way. Sounds like learning it by memory may be the way to go (I learned the superman theme that way years ago! :)
Rookie Pianist
Alec

Postby Tarnia » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:22 pm

Alec,
I googled 'Theme from the Notebook' and if it is by Aaron Zigman (sorry, horrible with remembering names) then I found it. Also googled Scarborough Fair. Based on this, I would say that the Notebook is more difficult, but I wouldn't say insanely so. The arrangement of the Scarborough Fair that I found was a 2-hand piece, but the left hand looked to be playing basic solid chords. For the Notebook, the LH (from what I could see) was playing chords, but broken-so a little more melody in the LH. As Becibu said, if you really want to learn it, why not get a copy and at least learn the RH or see if you/your teacher/someone you know could simplify it for you?
Tarnia

Return to Learning Piano