Bach - Inventions

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby classicafila » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:01 pm

I would like to know what is a good preparation to play the Bach inventions? I can already play some of them but I have had some trouble playing the others. Thank you for your time.
classicafila

Postby pianogal » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:55 pm

2 part inventions or 3 part inventions? or both?
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby classicafila » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi PianoGal,
I am interested in the two-part and three-part inventions.
classicafila

Postby pianogal » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:11 pm

Okie!
Everyone says Bach is my strong composer, anyway. I've only played his three-part invention no. 11, very nice piece. Preparing it, I just played it slowly, precisely, and loudly, making sure every note lasts it's full length. After a few times, my muscle memorizes the piece...(sorry if it confuses you, I tried my best to explain.. :D )

Are you having trouble memorizing or something else?
I might not answered your question.
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tarnia » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:10 am

The 3-part invention I did for gr. 9 was my strongest piece, but Bach does tend to rely on good technique! Therefore I would suggest (by no means an expert however) perfecting your technique-I gather there is a thread on this subject in the methods forum? I second playing slowly and loudly, giving each note its full value. Also, he tends to bring the melody back in alternating hands-watch for this and be sure to bring that out! Maybe practice those sections hands sep, or 'ghosting' your other hand. You could also try playing with different rhythms-e.g. if a run of 4 sixteenth notes, try doubling the notes-so if cdef, c-d-c-d-e-f-e-f or dot the rhythm, play one bar slow one fast...stuff like that. Umm that is all I can think of off the top of my head, when I have time I will go back and review the comments my teacher has written in my book for various inventions:p Good luck!
Tarnia

Postby montana » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:54 pm

What Bach two part invention would you suggest to try first?
eddorci
montana

Postby Tranquillo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:03 am

What Bach two part invention would you suggest to try first?

1 and 4 are perhaps the easiest of the selection.

I would like to know what is a good preparation to play the Bach inventions? I can already play some of them but I have had some trouble playing the others.

Your best bet is learning both hands separately paying attention to every single detail - shape the phrases according to the direction and then putting it hands together. Understanding the modulations and the chordal structure might help too. You need to thoroughly understand both hands before moving on to both hands. Ingrain it into your muscle memory if you must. When you put it hands together, go S-L-O-W-L-Y and I mean it ... it might seem frustrating at first but its worthwhile.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Learning Piano