Multiple students - Simultaneous lessons

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon May 26, 2008 8:18 am

We have talked in the past about multiple students in the same household taking lessons at the same time, but only in the context of fee structures. My question here is about whether there are special benefits and/or challenges involved in learning piano with more than one student in the house. I'm not so much interested here in scheduling matters or costs, but how having people in the same household taking lessons at the same time might be a benefit to all. I can see that practicing might be a little more palatable if one had "company", but what other issues might be involved? Is it easier to teach more than one student at a time from the same family? Should parents make an effort themselves to try to take lessons when their children do so?
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Tue May 27, 2008 6:40 am

I took my singing partner to a performance to my singing lesson last week. To me, as a student it was quite overwhelming ... at least at the beginning, still we were able to work on ensemble work and that was fun!

As a kid I can remember my brother sitting in my lessons since my mum had some traffic problems. That was so overwhelming to me, he wasn't taking the lesson, just on looking but I felt he could see all my mistakes and see how my teacher could pick on them.

Everyone learns differently, often in the case with two people taking lessons at at time or more, one is ahead the other feels the need to catchup.
They are just a few experiences
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat May 31, 2008 7:22 am

I have known several examples where parents took lessons at the same time as their children. In most of these cases, it seemed to work well, since the parents knew what the kids were supposed to do and the kids had their parents actively involved in helping solve problems and encouraging practice. Although not all parents can take lessons with their children, it's a really good idea if parents can share the whole experience.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:48 am

Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Editor wrote:I have known several examples where parents took lessons at the same time as their children. In most of these cases, it seemed to work well, since the parents knew what the kids were supposed to do and the kids had their parents actively involved in helping solve problems and encouraging practice. Although not all parents can take lessons with their children, it's a really good idea if parents can share the whole experience.

Thats great to hear... I suppose some people react differently ... My mum used to sit in at my lessons when I was younger and I never enjoyed that experience as she really was there with my teacher to nag me to practice. Many actions as a child drove me to take lessons on and off ... many of the times I was overwhelmed to practice. Having said that if my parents were more involved with my music education at an early age and if they were more empathetic and taken lessons, I guess it would have enjoyed the experience.

Enough about me ... I'm just reminising ... I think when people take lessons together the whole duet thing can happen ... many times pianists are lonely people so taking lessons at the same time allows for a communication when playing and another person to comment whist practicing.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Learning Piano