Ornamentation - Classical music

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby classicafila » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:56 pm

Hello,

I would like to know how to do the different kinds of ornamentation that there are in classical music such as mordents, and turns etc. My especial concern is Baroque music but I need to learn more about ornamentation in general. Should I get a good music dictionary or encyclopedia?I already have a book on the subject but in my opinion it doesn't explain it well enough for me. Thank you for your time.
classicafila

Postby 112-1182392787 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:57 am

There is a comprehensive article, including sound samples, on the Dolmetsch site: Dolmetsch - ornamentation: theory
112-1182392787

Postby classicafila » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:45 am

Hi " Pianissimo"
Thank you for your reply. I checked out the website. It looks like it has a lot of information.
classicafila

Postby Stretto » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:19 pm

You may be beyond this level of repertoire but Alfred's level 5 lesson book in their method series seems to be one of the few mainstream methods I've seen (correct me if wrong) really do a good job explaining ornamentation throughout the book.

Also, some of the classical piano lit. series out now include studies that go with the pieces that might explain ornamentation for those particular pieces. I'm thinking "Suceeding With the Masters" is one series like that giving information about history, and information on interpreting selected pieces according to the style of the time period.

I think also, "Masterwork Classics" which is a series of classical piano lit. books published by Alfred's, has study guides that correspond to each book in the series called Practice and Performance guides.

Edited By Stretto on 1188188632
Stretto

Return to Learning Piano