Etude experts stop here! - Help, please!

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby presto » Tue May 23, 2006 10:18 am

As you may have read in another topic I recently posted, I am very much in need of help to choose an appropriate etude which I must play, in addition to two other pieces, at an audition. Unfortunately, I'm no expert in this, and I hardly know where to begin to look, especially considering that I must find something that is somewhere about the level of at least Conservatory grade 6 or 7, or better yet, 8, and could be learned well by about January.

Needless to say, I would be very grateful for any help or suggestions you can give! If you ever played an etude at an audition, perhaps you could tell me what you had chosen--that might just be what I need.
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Postby Christine » Tue May 23, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi Presto,

First of all, I read your other post about your audition. While I was initially sad that you didn't get in, I was very impressed by your enthusiasm. You definitely have a goal and you will achieve it. Good for you for recognizing areas you could improve...it will only make you better in the end. As far as etudes go, I am definitely no expert, but could only tell you studies I like or have done in my past exams. I guess I should ask, do you mean RCM, or Conservatory Canada when you say "Conservatory"? I think the levels are different. I am only familiar with RCM studies. Also, are there any other "specific" requirements with the etude, other than grade level (ie. focusing on a certain technique?). Do you have any RCM studies books?

Christine :)
Christine

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Wed May 24, 2006 7:51 pm

Dear Presto:

Nothing beats the Chopin Etudes Opus 10 and 25, but there's no way for us to know exactly what level of difficulty you can handle. Opus 10 #3 in E major, and Opus 25 #12 in C minor and #1 in A flat are not quite as difficult as, say, Opus 10 #4 or the ones in thirds and sixths from Opus 25. My suggestion would be to listen to a good CD of all of them, decide what ones might be appropriate for you, and then try them out.

Also: it would be far better to play an easier one really well than to try to audition with one that you can just barely handle--you have to leave yourself some reserve.

Dr. Bill L.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby presto » Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am

Christine,

Thanks for the encouragement! :) Yes, I did mean RCM when I was referring to grade levels, and no, there are no specific requirements for the etude as far as I know, although I will be speaking with one of the judges tomorrow about the audition, and so maybe I will ask then. But unfortunately, I have no RCM studies books--I only know what the levels are, approximately, from what I have seen--I was using the grade levels as something to help others to know where I am.

Dr. Bill,

Thanks for the suggestions--I think I'll go find recordings of those etudes, like you said, and see which one sounds right. My one other major point, as I said earlier, besides finding one of the right level, is to find one that I'll be able to learn well in time, so I altogether agree with your last remark.

Edited By presto on 1148578034
88 keys--
10 fingers--
No problem!
presto

Return to Learning Piano