New here, looking for advice, pleae help...

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby Rob J » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:56 pm

I took lessons as a kid and am now much older. I have had a strong deisre to start playing again but have some issues. The first of which is, I do not have a piano. I also currently have some space and money constraints. I was thinking of purchasing an electronic keyboard such as the Yamaha YPG-225 or the Casio WK-110. I was hoping to "get back into it" first before going out and buying a full size piano. Any thoughts?
Rob J

Postby Tranquillo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:59 pm

I am a young (15) piano student myself with an acoustic piano. Mind you your story sounds very much like mine.

At 8 years old ... being young at that age .. I had NO commitment to piano ... hated practicing 100%.
My parents did not by me a piano at the time because they were afraid that I would let go and stop playing altogether and so they got me a keyboard.

When I took it seriously at 12 seriously I was able to practice on SOMETHING... even though it was an average keyboard atleast I got somewhere and had training from a teacher.
When I practiced regualry and daily for a year and showed I had suffiecent interest to keep me going it was only then my mum brought me a piano.

My point that there is nothing wrong with practicing on a electronic keyboard for now... I still got to learn something.

You mention money constraints ... pianos are quite an investment ... (I'm speaking of what I have heard from other teachers) ... you can work your way around it. When there are piano sales grasp those opportunities ... you can get a decent second hand piano ...
Some teachers suggest renting a piano while you dont have one ... and putting aside a small amount till you have enough to buy a piano.
... hoped that helped.

Edited By Becibu on 1192262337
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianogal » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:22 pm

Becibu, I thought we are the same age but I guess, I'm one year older than you. :)

Rob, Welcome!

All three of us are in common :laugh: :I just got a real piano this Tuesday! Before, I was practicing on a digital piano, (not a keyboard), it worked pretty well!!!

I also learned piano at age 8 for a year and half, then left for another country for 6 years. Practicing on my own. Now, I've been learning for another year. I'm glad I didn't quit.

You should be proud of yourself, for getting back to piano!!! I'm sure you will enjoy learning much more than before, and learn much faster!!!

I had a Casio PX-700 digital piano (with three pedals), liked it a lot.

Either way, as long the keys are weighted! (If you are going to perform, I suggest the one with three pedals would work the best, to get you ready for the real piano)
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:43 pm

pianogal wrote:Becibu, I thought we are the same age but I guess, I'm one year older than you. :)

Rob, Welcome!

All three of us are in common :laugh: :I just got a real piano this Tuesday! Before, I was practicing on a digital piano, (not a keyboard), it worked pretty well!!!

I also learned piano at age 8 for a year and half, then left for another country for 6 years. Practicing on my own. Now, I've been learning for another year. I'm glad I didn't quit.

You should be proud of yourself, for getting back to piano!!! I'm sure you will enjoy learning much more than before, and learn much faster!!!

I had a Casio PX-700 digital piano (with three pedals), liked it a lot.

Either way, as long the keys are weighted! (If you are going to perform, I suggest the one with three pedals would work the best, to get you ready for the real piano)

WOW ! There is a lot in common! ... when did you turn 16? Cause I am almost 16 ...

I took lessons as a kid and am now much older. I have had a strong deisre to start playing again but have some issues. The first of which is, I do not have a piano. I also currently have some space and money constraints. I was thinking of purchasing an electronic keyboard such as the Yamaha YPG-225 or the Casio WK-110. I was hoping to "get back into it" first before going out and buying a full size piano. Any thoughts?

See if you can get a keyboard with pedals that you can attach ... even better see if you can rent one ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianogal » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:46 pm

I turned 16 in June----maybe I'm a half year older than you, haha, close enough!!!
pianogal

Postby Tarnia » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:51 pm

I had a keyboard for years, and because of the lack of weighted keys it was, essentially, useless. You cannot create dynamic contrast-needed even in introductory pieces and you will not learn proper technique-or really even hand/body position since the exceptionally light keys allow you to make a number of mistakes without necessarily noticing.

My second year at uni I bought a digital piano (to take with me) with weighted keys and the full size keyboard. I would HIGHLY recommend you get a piano/keyboard with weighted keys. If possible, something that comes with or allows for attached pedals (I would say damper a must, soft pedal next thing to a must, and sostenuto...couldn't hurt but don't break the bank :p). Anything else I would say is just bells and whistles. Oh, and how many keys you need will depend on what level you are playing at/what you want to play. It sounds like a full 88 keys is not a must for you.

I have been very happy with my digital piano, and even my music teacher has caved and bought one-she says so she can play at night with headphones and not disturb the neightbours :p
Tarnia

Postby Tranquillo » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:36 pm

You made me think again ... are you planning to start lessons again? Or until you get the keyboard or piano?

Tarnia mentoined that using the Keyboard is really useless ... which is quite true due to dynamics, touch and technique.

... HOWEVER there are keyboards that have weighted keys and are not touch sensitive ... they are not digital pianos because they arent weighted and are cheaper ...

Well Thats just a thought ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby M&m » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:04 pm

We had a 66 key Yamaha digital for 3 years before we bought a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-303. The 66 key Yamaha was just fine for my son in those first years because that is what he played on in his group class. The Clavinova has capibilities that will allow you to connect to the internet. The sound is not as good on the smaller keyed digital. Eventually we will probably buy an acoustic piano.
M&m

Postby pianogal » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:09 pm

I think 88-key digital piano is necessary. I also had a 66key keyboard, i couldn't play much on it, just too limited.
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:37 am

pianogal wrote:I think 88-key digital piano is necessary. I also had a 66key keyboard, i couldn't play much on it, just too limited.

No neccarily , depends on what level .
When the piano was just developing the piano did not have 88 keys.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Rob J » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:24 am

Wow, thanks for all the good comments. I might have to rethink my plans. I am really itching to get started again, but maybe I should wait for a bit to save up for a better quality piano. Thanks.
Rob J

Postby Tarnia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:09 pm

If not too personal a question, what kind of budget are you looking at? For example, when I googled the two you listed, only the casio had weighted keys and a full 88 keys HOWEVER the upgrade to the yamaha 225-the 525 I think?-had both.

The best thing I can say is to shop around. When I was buying my digital piano to take to uni, my parents dragged me around to see everything from glorified keyboards to what I swear could have passed for a regular piano ;) I tried them all, and I knew what I wanted and wasn't willing to compromise. Yes I paid a little more and didn't get as many 'gimmicks', but I did get a real-feel digital piano that has lasted me 4 years and will probably last many more. And while it was several hundred dollars more than the keyboards, it was much less than a 'real' piano.
Tarnia

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:49 pm

Wow, thanks for all the good comments. I might have to rethink my plans. I am really itching to get started again, but maybe I should wait for a bit to save up for a better quality piano. Thanks.

A better quality piano is almost fundamental ... you sound really eager and enthused to learn! I get the feeling that you are going to put it off ... please dont?
Piano lessons are quite an investment ... have you thought about how they are going to work ... since you mention money restraints
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianogal » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:11 pm

I took piano lesson with a electronic piano for over a year now. I found myself improving fast enough to catch up with students with 5-8 years of learning. So my opinion is that tools don't really matter that much, what matters is whether or not you WANT to learn it, will you enjoy it. That also holds to if you are willing to forfeit time for practicing daily.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should get a regular keyboard with unweighted keys. I tried on my old one, it didn't help me.

If you are really willing to learn, then you will probably succeed!!! :cool:
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:22 pm

I have an idea!
Put some money aside and let it build overtime ... for the piano ... if you are really itching ... rent one for the temporary time ...
Take lessons or try to get atleast some form of instruction so you dont keep putting it off ...
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Next

Return to Learning Piano