Favorite pianist

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby pianogal » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:18 pm

Who do you admire the most?
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:15 pm

Havent givern much thought but I was just listening to Glenn Gould sometimes I can hear his humming in the recordigns which I find irritating at times. However he has got quite a technic .. some people think becuase he is lower to the piano it aids him in having such a high speed.
I like the way he plays Bach he doesnt get out of style but he still buts detail and shape to the piece.
He also plays mozarts sonatas wonderfully. I was just listening to Mozart K 310 piano sonata Glenn Gould plays it like a charm!
Besides that I listend to Lang Lang ... he is an amazing pianist. He really puts him into the piece. HOWEVER I cannot bear watching him play. He looks like he got shot several times! (sorry if you are reading this Lang Lang) ... I know he is trying to connect with his audience by means of his music but I think that he should pay attention to his facial expressions and persona whilst playing.
Anyways enough of me being a critical analyser ... who do you admire?
Pianogal you didnt metion your fave pianist? who is it?
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby pianogal » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:54 pm

Gould does have a very beautiful touch of sound, but I can't stand his posture.
Lang lang's great, except for his facial......you know.
Well, they are all great on recordings!!!
I admire Zimmerman, Valetina Lisitsa, Baraboim, Perihia, Gilels (maybe), Victor Borge (Funniest guy), and much more.........Geez they are just SUPER!

Of course they all have huge hands which give them huge advantage....
pianogal

Postby Tranquillo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Gould actually had an injury causing that posture... thats why he sits on his special chair

Edited By Becibu on 1191801042
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Stretto » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:02 pm

This sounds bad but I don't pay too much attention to particular pianists. I just listen to a lot of music paying attention to the music not who recorded it. I suppose I'm probably not listening to as good of quality recordings that way, but it's hard enough for me to keep track of pieces and their names let alone the artist that performed or recorded the best version. :D
Stretto

Postby pianogal » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:19 pm

Becibu wrote:

Gould actually had an injury causing that posture... thats why he sits on his special chair

>>>now I feel guilty for saying that<<<<<
EVERYBODY: if you read what I wrote above, please read this too! I did not know he had injury. :D
pianogal

Postby classicafila » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:26 pm

I don't really have a favorite pianist but there are some whom I highly regard. Vladimir Horowitz was incredible. He played with such virtuosity. I have one cd by him " Horowitz at Home". Glenn Gould was one of the best especially for playing Bach, his forte. Andras Schiff is also great. You might check out his Mozart Piano sonatas. Mitsuko Uchida is also a very skilled pianist. I have her Mozart Piano sonatas as well. Of course there were the renowned Artur Rubinstein and Alicia de Larrocha.
classicafila

Return to Learning Piano