Sonata preparation - Mozart

Technique, methods and advice for learners

Postby classicafila » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:00 pm

Hello. I would like to know how I can prepare myself to play mozart piano sonatas? I have heard that the sonatinas can be a good preparation but I would like to know what other resources are available? Also, what kind of technique will I need to be using(eg: School of Velocity, etc.)? Thank you for your time.
classicafila

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:26 am

Hi, and welcome to you!

I don't think there can be any better technical preparation for Mozart than a thorough grounding in scales and arpeggios in all keys. But you need to do them with variety, such as in different rhythms, dynamics and touches. May I suggest that you read my article "Practice: Who Makes the Decisions?" for an idea of what I mean. It's in the "Technique Matters" section.

Musically, I'd suggest listening to as much Mozart and Haydn as possible--not only piano but symphonies, string quartets, and even an opera, like "Magic Flute"--you will hear very much the same kind of textures and interplay of voices. And, yes, Clementi and Kuhlau sonatinas are valuable as well.

Best wishes for your studies! Please keep us informed as to how they're coming along.

Dr. Bill Leland
Editor at Large

Edited By Dr. Bill Leland on 1185666715
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby pianogal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:51 pm

I am REALLY sorry, I've never played any Mozart sonatas before, only Beethoven's. Are there a lot of differences between them? If not, then I can help!
Don't ever give up piano, because you will like it someday
pianogal

Postby classicafila » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi Piano Gal,
Thanks for your comment. I believe that Mozart is supposed to be easier to play than Beethoven. At any rate, I am not yet prepared to play sonatas. I am still working on easier works to get myself ready.
classicafila

Return to Learning Piano