Buying music for students

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby Circe » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:32 am

Hello, I just settled in Philadelphia and will soon be giving piano lessons - wish me luck! - and I have been doing a lot of shopping around but unable to find places where discounts of value can be found. I have heard of places where teachers can earn credits if they buy certain quantities or if they subscribe to some deals where they automomatically receive new texts but have only found one or two examples on the web, neither of which seemed worthwhile. Anyone have some suggestions? Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Ms. C
:laugh:
Circe

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:17 am

Welcome, Circe :D

I'm sure lots of other members will offer you some tips. However, try searching Google or any other search engine using the terms "music teacher discount". You'll get lots of links to online places that offer discounts to music teachers. If you have a music store that can be considered "local" to your part of Philadelphia, try asking them for a discount when you buy music, telling them that you're a teacher. Also, take a look at our Music Suppliers page. Most of the linked sites there offer discounts to teachers. Another place to consider is www.academicsuperstore.com. Teachers can get rather large discounts on all kinds of education-related items there, though they don't specialize in music, per se. You have to prove that you're a teacher to qualify for some, though not all, of the discounts.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Bill Leland » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:24 am

Dear Circe,

A warm welcome to you from one who was born and raised in Philly and still considers it home.

Theodore Presser used to be downtown on Chestnut St., way back in the dark ages when I was a student, but they're out on the Main Line now, in Bryn Mawr. It might be worth a trip to go out there and look around and talk to them. Please let us know how you make out.

Dr. Bill Leland, Editor at Large.
Technique is 90 per cent from the neck up.
Dr. Bill Leland

Postby 108-1121887355 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:52 am

My local music store now gives a 15% discount to teachers (up from 10% last year.) Ordering on the Internet usually adds a mailing cost. I do it only when I cannot get something though the local store, usually at sheetmusicplus.com and you receive as coupon for next order of $1.50. Every little bit helps. There are sales on line as well - Amazon had a big CD sale recently.
108-1121887355

Return to Running a Teaching Studio