Is teaching your sole income?

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Is teaching your sole income?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes : 5

Postby Mins Music » Sun May 09, 2004 5:51 pm

Do you rely only on the money you make from piano teaching to run your household, vital as a combined income, or as extra money for the household/personal use?
"I forget what I was taught, I only remember what I've learnt." - Patrick White, Australian novelist.
Mins Music

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:36 pm

It would be interesting to hear about what the other sources of income, generally speaking, are for those piano teachers for whom piano teaching is not the sole income. I know a very few have orchestra or performing income of some sort, others have spouses whose salary helps out, still others augment their teaching income by working at other jobs outside of the studio. I get the sense that it's pretty difficult, though certainly not impossible, to live on teaching income alone. I wonder how much the recession has affected that conclusion.
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:19 am

I dont teach but my teachers accompany, perform, lecture, compose and teach other areas of music as part of their income. I have met many teachers who teach and only teach and they seem to manage. In fact the teahers I know in the states and here say that they managed to teach and keep their students during the reccession.
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Return to Running a Teaching Studio