Organizing a music collection - The best way?

Talk with other teachers, exchange tips, participate in polls regarding a teaching studio business

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:56 am

Any teacher or serious student will accumulate large quantities of sheet music. I recently received a note from a teacher asking for help in organizing her large (over 1000 works) sheet music collection. I suggested a filing by composer, supplemented with a database application which would allow her to search the works not only by composer, but by genre, level, type (etude, prelude, etc.), length, and so forth. I know that finding just the right music in a large collection is a problem for many teachers, since I've observed it myself with teachers who have large collections. Does anybody have any tips or comments on how one might best organize and access a large sheet music collection?
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Postby Tranquillo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:24 pm

I have seen a few (retired) teachers organize by having a shelving system. The shelves are organized by alphabetical order by composer.

I've seen others organize as you said Dr. Zeigler through keeping a filing cabinet. Some teachers I know organize from level of ability ... (e.g. beginner to advanced).

Also, I think its sometimes better to buy albums sometimes then single sheets. Single sheets have a tendency to fall out and get 'dog-eared' round the corners. The condition of albums especially if they are bound nicely (like Henle editions) last for ages.

Well I hope that helps
Music is organised sound
Tranquillo

Postby Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:40 am

I think the database approach is the best way of handling the logical process (i.e identifying) of searching for music, which is physically organized in some way or another. One question is" how does one handle collections properly, since they may contain works of many different composers?
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom. - Albert Einstein
Dr. John Zeigler - PEP Ed
Site Admin

Return to Running a Teaching Studio